S-10 Forum banner

small block wiring

2K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  Reaper25511 
#1 ·
I'm not a newbie to changing engines in older cars BUT, my son wanted to put a 350/350 combo in his 4 cyl. 2000 S10. We have the motor and transmission mounted, and are starting to plumb the trans and fuel lines. Using a mechanical pump 650 Holley and HEI. Here is where I'm stumped, we put this truck on a serious wiring diet removed most of the harnesses to the engine and the trans. Problem I ran into and should have thought ahead, no power to the starter wire ( assuming it's a trans signal missing) and where do you guys hook up your HEI distributors? Thanks

#11 ·
if by starter wire you mean the solenoid that's easy. from the ignition switch terminal that's powered in the start position run a wire to the solenoid. for the HEI i prefer tapping into a terminal on the fuse panel that is hot in the start AND run position using a 12 gauge wire. what transmission / shifter are you using ? a neutral safety switch or clutch switch is an option and suggested.

#12 ·
Thanks for the response. It's a 93 model 350 4 bolt with an 82 TH350, using a B&M proshifter. Engine should be right at 350 HP. I'm trying to figure out if I need to keep any of the ecm or can delete it altogether? Basically just need some advice on wiring the ignition and HEI. Unfortunately my son nor I have a big budget like some of these folks. And not sure why everyone jumped on me for my pic? It's not about who won or lost. I was just asking for advice. Thanks

#13 ·
No ecm on a carburated engine but there will be issues if the OEM computer is looking for input. Not schooled on the computer interaction in a 2000 but right off the emission control, fuel management are going to send the ecm into a tizzy. You should look into exactly what the ecm controls and address those issues one at a time. The engine itself is easy. Remember that the truck was born with EFI and you are deleting all of that.

#25 ·
You think its disrespectful, and that is your opinion. You don't know my background or what I have done in my life. Your welcome to disagree with my avatar, but this country is in serious distress in my opinion, and it has nothing to do with elections, it is purely my feeling on the state of the nation at this point. Again I didn't post a political statement, I was simply asking for advice on my sons truck. If you had posted an avatar pic I didn't agree with, I would have said nothing about it, because that's your right and opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.