S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I've always wanted to start a first gen s10 build but due to life circumstances and lack of knowledge I was always very hesitant. I recently had some extra cash, permission from the wifey, and built up courage from who knows where I went and bought me a 1989 s10 blazer and thus starts a very slow build that will hopefully get there one day. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can't leave us hanging like that. What are your short and long term plans? Give us some details, man!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course! Well first off it's a 4.3 automatic I found for 2500 it definitely needs some work but the the engine and transmission is good and it runs great. The tires and rims are brand new, even tho not start I as going for might sell them and get some extra cash. It's currently lowered 4" on the back with blocks and in the front the coil springs were cut a little too much so ima have to replace them. Long term goal is to have it looking fairly stock and new but with a 350 or 5.3 in it. Short term goal is to just to make sure everything works right and restoring it little by little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds great and I'm all for the V8 swap. Have any pictures?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Other than the clearcoat issue, looks like you have a pretty solid starting point. Nice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm waiting on a couple of replacement parts, I will be replacing the back window struts, tailgate lock and fixing the windows it has electric windows but the roller seems to be missing on one and the other needs a guide. Will also be putting new weatherstrip and window channel along with the window belt. I've never done that before but I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward if anybody has tips or warnings now I is the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Carlb! I'm excited, but yea lucky for me the guy I bought it from owns a body shop and was going to paint it for his son but his son lost interest and gave me a **** of a deal on repainting it. He just said he needed to catch up on work since he was behind, due to the fact he was finishing up his divorce.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've never done that before but I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward if anybody has tips or warnings now I is the time.
It is. I got my parts from 1A Auto and followed this video:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks that's exactly what I needed! It does seem straight forward thanks I'll post pics and updates when I get it done

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm still waiting on some parts, should come in tomorrow. I was cleaning it as much as I could today since that's about all I can do right now. After I got done I decided to take it for a spin and I don't know if I had too high hopes for the 4.3 but I was pretty disappointed in the power, my 2.2 1999 s10 is way more funner. I already did a quick tune up, changed spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, and oil change is there anything else I should do to help wake up the ole 4.3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both engines are relatively weak, that's why so many people went with manuals and lower gear ratios, to help add a little pep. But even that wasn't a real solution because anyone trying to carry a little bit of load knows how our S-trucks struggle up hills.

If you have the time and money, there's always the wonderful world of turbos that'd get the job done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I will be doing a swap later on down the road so I don't wanna do too much to the 4.3 so I guess I can consider it more motivation to get to it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally some progress. Not drastically but like the tittle says it will be a slow build. I got some parts in finally and installed them. I was able to put the window weatherstrip channel along with the window belts on both doors, put the driver side door weather strip cuz I thought it came with both sides but only received the driver side. All of that was pretty straight forward. I replaced three tailgate struts and lock cuz the latch the helps open the tailgate was spinning freely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I've been cruising in the blazer more lately and I've been noticing when I try to do a hard take off from a stop the engine bogs and some times dies. I did some research and I came to the conclusion it might be the idle air control valve since I already changed the spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter. Any thoughts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New parts I got 2" lowering spindle and 2" spring with new upper and lower ball joints along with the tie rods with some Street performance shocks that won't be coming in till later right now I'm stuck trying to remove the lower ball joints any tips?
This is what I'm using

New and old spindles

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally done installed new spindles, ball joints, springs, tie rods, and shocks. Everything went on pretty easy I would definitely recommend some ball joint forks to make it a bit easier.
The hardest part was reinstalling the ball joints they just kept on going crooked. I just kept installing and removing and installing and removing till it finally went in straight.
Overall it took me about a full day also painted both a arms and now the blazer is riding like a champ its so comfortable I find myself making excuses to go to town just to drive it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts