S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked all around and the topic is a bit confusing for me, being new to the whole scene lmao.

Anyways, recently picked up an S10, ext cab. 2wd. 4.3l V6.

The front sits a lot lower than the rear. So far I've got new shocks all around. But was wondering what the simplest way to raise the front to be a TAD more level with the rear.

So far it seems like just replacing the coil springs would accomplish what I'm looking for? Everything is bone stock suspension wise besides the spring over shock, shocks I put on.

So would a Moog 5664 coil, and nothing else, accomplish what I'm looking for?

A lot of what I've read had to fo with the 4cyl engine, and I'm sure there's a difference in spring rates when trying to accomplish what i am between the 4.3 and 2.2 when taking into accountability the weight difference. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Any and all help clarifying IF a coil spring and only a coil spring would accomplish what I want, and if so, what springs to use for the 4.3.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depending on age and mileage and of course abuse new coil springs will definitely help, going to a spring meant for a bigger heavier engine will net lift with the side of stiffing the ride (personal preference if you like that or not)

Example grand Cherokee 4.0 installing factory coil springs for a grand Cherokee 5.2 will net approx 1.5" lift but will stiffen the ride by approx 20%

88 S10 Durango Long Bed 2wd 2.8L Auto

·
time to get cereal
5,184 Posts
The trucks were not level from the factory. This is done on purpose to increase the load capacity. Putting lift springs on would be your only option to get it level.

That's why you always see people doing 4/6 5/7" drops.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trucks were not level from the factory. This is done on purpose to increase the load capacity. Putting lift springs on would be your only option to get it level.

That's why you always see people doing 4/6 5/7" drops.
So, as for putting new coils up front, being that i have the 4.3 which springs/spring rate should i look for? Is the 5664 adequate for what im trying to achieve?

·
time to get cereal
5,184 Posts
Pretty sure the 5664 is a stock style spring and it will put your truck at factory height, which is roughly a 2" difference front to rear.

As I already said, you will need lift springs in front... or lower your rear with blocks or springs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pretty sure the 5664 is a stock style spring and it will put your truck at factory height, which is roughly a 2" difference front to rear.

As I already said, you will need lift springs in front... or lower your rear with blocks or springs.
I believe your right 5664 will net I believe 1.5 on a 2.8 and 2 on a 4 banger, as for lifting the front don't go over 2.5" or you risk ball joint damage, suggestions on how to get there, 1. Sources lift springs off Amazon shouldn't cost more than $100 2. Go play in the junkyard and find something with a bigger engine that fits, maybe a v8 dakota?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe your right 5664 will net I believe 1.5 on a 2.8 and 2 on a 4 banger, as for lifting the front don't go over 2.5" or you risk ball joint damage, suggestions on how to get there, 1. Sources lift springs off Amazon shouldn't cost more than $100 2. Go play in the junkyard and find something with a bigger engine that fits, maybe a v8 dakota?

My main goal was to just raise the front a wee bit to better clear a set of 225/75/15 AT tires upfront.

Upon looking i found what seemed to be a 1" spring bump or whatever you'd call it that fits to the top (maybe? Also bottom?) of the spring to achieve said lift. Is that a viable option or....

I really don't need much at all, just something to fit the fronts a bit better than what it appears they'd be able to as it sits currently with 215/70/15s

·
Registered
127 Posts
Look into what springs csb swap guys are running and maybe try those I wouldn't recommend spoil spacers they make the ride hard and very uncomfortable

·
Been there Done it
11,880 Posts
Why not put 2" blocks in the rear to level it. At stock height you should have no problem clearing 225/75/15 AT tires up front. That way you won't have a ride like a dump truck which gets old quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not put 2" blocks in the rear to level it. At stock height you should have no problem clearing 225/75/15 AT tires up front. That way you won't have a ride like a dump truck which gets old quickly.
Well I got a nice set of tires on the new (to me) wheels. 215/70/15 Geolandar AT tires. Mounted them at the shop I work at myself with no problems. They look good on the truck and perform great. No rubbing of the sorts. But an approx. 1inch lift up front would look great in my opinion. Even with this size.

It just sits a litttttlleee too low in the front for my tastes.

I've determined a 1" lift is exactly what i want. Not sure if its supposed to sit how it does now from the factory, or if the front coils are just worn and permanently compressed past factory specs.

So my question is, what would the best, most cost effective way to achieve a 1" lift up front? I have no intention of touching the rear at all.

Would a new set of factory springs do the job? It's only got 130k miles (on the dot) with the 4.3. I've already done front and rear shocks, and will be rebuilding the front suspension entirely here soon. Or should I opt for a higher spring rate aftermarket coil?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I got a nice set of tires on the new (to me) wheels. 215/70/15 Geolandar AT tires. Mounted them at the shop I work at myself with no problems. They look good on the truck and perform great. No rubbing of the sorts. But an approx. 1inch lift up front would look great in my opinion. Even with this size.

It just sits a litttttlleee too low in the front for my tastes.

I've determined a 1" lift is exactly what i want. Not sure if its supposed to sit how it does now from the factory, or if the front coils are just worn and permanently compressed past factory specs.

So my question is, what would the best, most cost effective way to achieve a 1" lift up front? I have no intention of touching the rear at all.

Would a new set of factory springs do the job? It's only got 130k miles (on the dot) with the 4.3. I've already done front and rear shocks, and will be rebuilding the front suspension entirely here soon. Or should I opt for a higher spring rate aftermarket coil?
When you pull your springs measure them un compressed and look up the un compressed length of new ones

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,221 Posts
Anything you do to the springs will make the truck ride like garbage,and put extra stress on your balljoints.

best bet is 3” lift knuckles,and 3” shackles with 4° shins to correct the pinion angle...it’ll make the truck perfectly level.3” lift knuckles actually add 3&1/2” of lift,and 3” shackles actually give about 2&1/2” of lift...

like this...these are .235/75/15,but pretty close to what you’re trying to put on your truck. It’s a 4cylinder 2wd and cruises around fine...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anything you do to the springs will make the truck ride like garbage,and put extra stress on your balljoints.

best bet is 3” lift knuckles,and 3” shackles with 4° shins to correct the pinion angle...it’ll make the truck perfectly level.3” lift knuckles actually add 3&1/2” of lift,and 3” shackles actually give about 2&1/2” of lift...

like this...these are .235/75/15,but pretty close to what you’re trying to put on your truck. It’s a 4cylinder 2wd and cruises around fine...
You getting close to reposting your 2.8 swap stuff? I'm anxiously awaiting the flood of knowledge

Define garbage you mean like sports car stiff or f250 on 6" lift blocks stiff?

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,551 Posts
My truck has a Rough Country 2inch lift with springs and AAL in the rear. I'd say that the truck is a little stiff at slower speeds, but "garbage"? I think that's a little extreme and knocking you out of the seat on speed bumps? That's pretty hilarious. That's a major exaggeration. In fact to me it handles a lot better than it did with the worn out factory 84 springs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts