S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single out stock muffler splitting off into a Y pipe for simulated duals?

After reading all the info on having a true dual or dual out muffler on the 4.3 will cause loss of low end torque, I was thinking (and I know others have thought of this) of just somehow modifying the pipe out of my muffler and running another pipe on the other side for a simulated duals. Basically I just want to have the look of exhaust coming out of both sides (i'm not a ricer either, stock muffler).

Are there any downfalls to this performance wise? IS this a stupid idea? Please, just help, no flames:dunno:

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
phhhhhhhh......doing a dual setup with the right sized pipes wont really result in loss of low-end power. with a 2.5" inlet/2.25" dual outlets, it would not decrease low-end power and boost the top end a bit. people usually get duals for the look/sound, because they really dont do a whole lot (compared to other mods) for all-around performance. to me, seeing a truck/Blazer that was as quiet as having a stock muffler, yet with duals, would raise the ? in my mind if something was wrong, for the vehicle to be so quiet. a dual-out muffler system would be the easiest, but you could always have an exhaust shop weld a second pipe to the first, right after the muffler outlet, and run the dummy pipe out the other side.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but, one, I'm CHEAP :)
And two, I drive a lot, and to be quiet is a good thing as I'm half like others , I want the look, just not the sound......
BUT, would this hurt performance any? (I don't think it would)

I'm going to check things out, if I feel I need a new muffler, then I'd consider a new dual out muffler. But once again, I don't see how adding a functional dummy pipe could cost more than $50 if that. (I mean, cut if off the back of the muffler, put in a little y pipe, and then run both out)

·
12,507 Posts
you wouldnt even need the y-pipe. just have a section of pipe welded to the original pipe, dont even worry about cutting an opening or anything.

·
stock is the new fixed up
530 Posts
i dont see the point, id rather not see the exaust at all than have duals......especially if you want quiet duals, the whole point for duals is the flow/sound of it. oh, whats a functional dummy pipe? isnt that an oxymoron? why waste upwards of $50 like you say just to get a different look, sounds like rice to me, and im trying not to flame you here. i know you say your cheap, but if your gonna do something, do it right the first time, save up for a single in/dual out muff (im sure they make quiet ones out there) and get piping done from there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uh, I know you are not ftrying to flame, I just don't see how it sounds like rice.

Yes, most people go for the "dual" look for performance and sound. Sure, I'd like both, but as of now I'm just conserdering my alternatives to buying a new dual out muffler. I have a single out stock muffler, I would just like to add a short pipe of the same size to the other side that actually has exhaust coming out of is as well. You know, basically splitting the single out into two seperate short pipes exiting out the back on both sides. So, this would be just as quiet as before, I'm aware it wouldn't offer any more performance, but I WOULD have exhaust coming out of both sides. It's not rice, it's the same muffler.

For instance, I know my truck is not a car, but take a Pontiac grand prix (newer ones)you see the ones with dual exhaust tips out the back and then you see others that don't have duals, what do you think looks better?????(I'm aware that they actually split ouf of two small seperate mufflers, but you really can't see the mufflers much at all) Does a V6 camaro stock exhaust look as good as the duals on a z28? The list goes on, Monte Carlo duals or no duals (again, newer ones as well) . All I'm doing is going for the same look, for CHEAP and not going rice as I'm not useing giant *** tips or buying a fart can muffler. I'm just going for that same look as we see on so many other cars

Lastly, I agrea, probably a good dual out muffler would be best, but I'm only talking about 3 foot of stock size pipe and the time to install.

Attachments

·
12,507 Posts
a Flowmaster 40 Series dual out is only about $70 or so at EXPENSIVE stores, i got mine at dealer cost. you can get a y-pipe and split the pipe after the muffler, but if you do get a dual out muffler later on, you're just going to have to scrap that pipe you had put on.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I know, i would have to scrap it if I ever upgraded, but flowmaster is too loud for now, but always an option....

How much do you think a shop would charge for the y pipe split off?

·
12,507 Posts
not much, maybe $50 max.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Heh i was shoppin at walmart for x-max stuff I seen this thing that had 2 "pipes" coming out on an angel. It was to look like u had an exsuast pipe like out of the front end built into the fender looked so rice. All u do is like stick it on their somehow and be embarrssed when someone goes those real? Ok turn it on u do and no air comin from them ya fake u cheap shit. But look would cool if it was real and put it on like a lowered s-10 out the side of the rear fender.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lol i saw that to, its a little metal thing with 2 small tips and u screw it on to the front fender so it looks like you have headers coming out

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
laydlow said:
lol i saw that to, its a little metal thing with 2 small tips and u screw it on to the front fender so it looks like you have headers coming out

Sounds pretty dumb to me. Anyways I see what you are wanting to do, but I still can't understand why. You're saying that you want the appearance of a dual exhaust, but not really have a dual exhaust, right? So if that's what you want them you might as well just buy an exhaust tip and mount it up under your bumper somehow.

·
harlem body kit has to go
1,170 Posts
how about when your driving at night or in the winter and exhaust is only coming out of one pipe?, or is the 2nd pipe attached too

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
litestab said:
how about when your driving at night or in the winter and exhaust is only coming out of one pipe?, or is the 2nd pipe attached too
the idea is for having a little y pipe on the single outlet stock muffler and then running one pipe to each corner so both would be fully functional, no performance gain, just better looking like I stated in my above post.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
just zip tie a pipe to the left side of your truck, or go the flowmaster route and get a different series( i believe the higher the series that quiter it is?). still shouldnt cost the much, the problem with your idea is its not going to look right, the pipes are going to have different amounts of corrosion on them and odds are till have different angles to 'em.

and for the walmart pipes, i believe they are 3m tape, that could make for a funny addition on any parody ricer...(or real one for that matter)

·
32,797 Posts
If you still plan on doing this, do the y-pipe set up. Make the pipe functionable. Don't just rig a dummy pipe.

After time, it will be easily noticeable that the dummy pipe is a fake pipe. The real pipe will have black around the tip, the dummy pipe will maintain a clean tip. Also rust may start to appear on the dummy tip.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
96blazer said:
If you still plan on doing this, do the y-pipe set up. Make the pipe functionable. Don't just rig a dummy pipe.

After time, it will be easily noticeable that the dummy pipe is a fake pipe. The real pipe will have black around the tip, the dummy pipe will maintain a clean tip. Also rust may start to appear on the dummy tip.
I know what you are saying, all along my idea was never to have a dummy pipe, I want two identical evenly spaced exhaust pipes
that both have exhaust coming out.

·
Ole skule VW nut
378 Posts
I say this, I don't think this will be as cheap as you think. Here is why. A muffler shop, can tap the pipes into each other, but, there will be pipe running where no pipe was designed to be. Therefore, all the hangers will have to fabricated, thereby causing the pipe to sit abit different than the stock one. As I'm sure you wont just start Zip tying things together, and will want it done right so it will last, I just don't see being able to do it really really cheap. I think the $50 Muddy quoted you is fair, but look at that to be a starting point. It's not the pipe that is expensive, but the labor to bend it to fit the other side, and to fabricate mounts.

Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I hear ya, I actually didn't know how much it would cost, but I'v read a lot of other posts on here where people had a dual out muffler and duals on each side for less than 150. Not sure if I'm going to do it, just getting ideas and feedback. Have a good new year all!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts