S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a how simple it is to wire your headlights so both lows and hi's are on when you have hi beams on. If I had looked in my Chilton's manual sooner I wouldn't have gone out and bought the kit. Got the kit now and already lengthened some wires on it but if you want you could go and find all the parts at any automotive parts store and do it all yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took the damn kit back beacuse it didn't work with the way the relay was wired. If you want this to work you have to have the relay wired so it reverses polarity when it switches. The kit didn't have removable connectors on the relay plug so it would have made it very confusing when doing the wiring.

As it is I got some help getting this to work but it took us awhile to figure out the polarity switches when you go from hi to low. As an added bonus I got my money back from the kit and I got it working for free.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something else to add. Since I have all lights on now when I switch to hi beam the daytime running lights are not right.

Here's what's happening. When the DRLs come on the hi beams are used for DRL with a lower voltage so they are not at full brightness, so because the hi beams are on, voltage is being sent to the low beams so they're on now also.

·
low life
816 Posts
Which terminals on the relay are you using for the red, tan, lt green and black. And do you have to do this on the drivers and passenger side, or do you just do one and they both work?
-Jim

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
I would also like to know which polarity you are talking about reversing. I bought the same relay kit from painless and it doesn't work. When I turn on my headlights the relay does nothing, as it should. When i turn on my high beams my headlights go off and my highs come on. here is the weird part. The relay keeps them on after the light switch has been turned off. I'm thinking that the relay is bad or something because unless I am jumping another relay somewhere along the line it should be working properly. Help me. Why doesn't my painless headlight relay work?

L

·
0 Posts
I still dont understand how these are supposed to be hooked up .. if the low-beam is throwing a postive signal, u need to throw a -negative to the high-beam? or another +positive? I have a 2002 blazer x.. my low beams throw a -negative.. So on the relay 86 and 30 go to 12v, 87 to lowbeams, and 85 to high? That would change negative to a postive..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't see how you can get that to work on newer trucks with DRLs. The trucks are wired completely different now, headlight grounds are not connected together, they are wired separate so they can be switched from parallel circuit (normal lights) to series circuit (DRLs) through relays. 98-up are controlled by the BCM too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts