S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice on simple performance mods. I have my motor tore down past the intake manifold and was wondering if there was anything rather cheap I could do to it while I have it this far apart. Here is a picture to show exactly how far I tore into it so far.

I was thinking maybe a throttle body spacer but I am unsure if it would be benefitial. I have a 96 4.3 Vortec VIN code X (MFI). I also want to get a 160 degree thermo but do not know which one I need. (all my local part stores don't carry them) I was planning on ordering from Summit so any part numbers would be great. I have about $125 to spend in mods not including what I have already spent on gaskets and misc. cleaners and sealers. Any help would be appreciated. Also ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
plastih8r
856 Posts
well the tb spacer is good as long as you never plan on gettin a K&N FIPK but the 160 stat... dont get it unless you get a programmer... you wont benifit from it if your computer dont know its supposed to be at that temp and prolly will hurt your performance and gas mileage

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much of a performance hit will I take with the 160 thermo without the programmer? I plan on getting one, but not for awhile. (Money issues) Also I do plan on getting the K&N FIPK or something similar. Why would I not want to combine these two?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
THE K&N WILL FIT...I have the setup in my truck right now. Just leave the black metal adapter off and it fits just fine...

·
4-Door Blazin'
81 Posts
Does anyone have a link to where I can get the K&N FIPK cheap? thanks.

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
I got the complete K&N GenII Setup and the TB Spacer, then again I have a cowl hood.. All I can say is the TB Spacer and the GenII System made on e of the best gains I have ever had from mods.. I used to run 300 miles per tanks, now with my current setup I can run it all the way to 380.. :)

·
4-Door Blazin'
81 Posts
How about a part number for the FIPK? then I can shop around, I just have a K&N drop-in now, doesn't seem to do much........

thx

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Thanks to (01ZQ8) I have installed the K&N GEN II with a TB spacer and it fits but like he said the black adapter will have to be left off. I used a GORTEX high temp. adhesive tap 1/4" thick to help get a good seal around the mouth of the TB. And I just hose clamped it on. When you get the K&N kit you will see what we had to do. It (K&N) works GREAT with the spacer, a 2.85mpg increase (speed limit driving) with BOTH is what I got and the motor was still braking in at the time. :thumbup:

3-Billet Bowtie
4-255/45/18 Pirelli Zero's on HALO rims
5-Boston Acoustics speakers in doors/dash
6-Pioneer 6x9's in the back seat area
7-K&N GEN II
8-FlowMaster 40series with 2 1/4 pipe Magnaflow SS tip
9-2/3 DROP with Belltech Spindles and Blocks
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
12-JL amp and one 10” JL subwoofer
13-SS mirrors WHITE, matching handles
14-Shaved Emblems

And a list one mile long

·
4-Door Blazin'
81 Posts
Which metal adapter are you talking about exactly? I want to get these 2 things but want to make sure they will fit.....

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
2k1phatblazer said:
Which metal adapter are you talking about exactly? I want to get these 2 things but want to make sure they will fit.....
The kit (K&N GEN II) comes with 1 black METAL adapter if you ues the TB spacer do NOT use the adapter. :)

3-Billet Bowtie
4-255/45/18 Pirelli Zero's on HALO rims
5-Boston Acoustics speakers in doors/dash
6-Pioneer 6x9's in the back seat area
7-K&N GEN II
8-FlowMaster 40series with 2 1/4 pipe Magnaflow SS tip
9-2/3 DROP with Belltech Spindles and Blocks
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
12-JL amp and one 10” JL subwoofer
13-SS mirrors WHITE, matching handles
14-Shaved Emblems

And a list one mile long

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
how much hp can u get from just puting in roller rockers?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts