Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Here's a random tip that I found that I wanted to share.
Spraying silicone lubricant spray on a new air filter will help collect dust if you're not using a K&n.
Any thoughts.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,974 Posts
A new air filter doesn't need spray oil of any kind to help collect dust. Whether you spray silicone on it or whip out your dick and piss on it, the result will be the same.

The reason performance filters are oiled is because the mesh material has larger pores which let more air through; which is where the, y'know, performance aspect comes from. The oil around the pore helps attract dirt that would otherwise flow through.

A regular ol' Fram or Carquest or w/e brand pleated paper filter is perfectly fine and spraying oil or pissing on it won't make it last longer or work better or give you any horses or make magical unicorns appear.

·
Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
131 Posts
Air filters that are not dry can also cause problems with MAF sensors. The resistors in there need to be super clean or the readings will be incorrect. An oily film will make them not heat or dissipate heat correctly in order to measure the flow of air passing by them.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,974 Posts
I believe the MAF theory is largely debunked as it turns out most MAFs are already contaminated from the manufacturing process with residual silicone via the PCB they are mounted to. I think someone on the bobistheoilguy forums tested this and determined its more myth. I've heard about the cats too, but tbh unless you're dumping half a can into this filter and its dripping, I just can't see enough of it going through the cats to matter. But both are certainly still plausible I suppose, point is, not necessary so don't do it. :)

·
time to get cereal
3,562 Posts
If a 2.2L had a MAF, then it wouldn't be pointless to bring up MAF sensors in the first place. I vote pissing on it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks dudes. It does sound like my catalytic converters getting screwed up now thanks man.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't even have a new air filter to put in right now. it's not as if I'm spraying silicone spray into the system. It's dried and on the filter. You think it's really screwing it up with it sprayed and dried on there?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,239 Posts
I don't even have a new air filter to put in right now. it's not as if I'm spraying silicone spray into the system. It's dried and on the filter. You think it's really screwing it up with it sprayed and dried on there?
What's the point of spraying it if it dries??

Reactions: 98Sonosls

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have no useful information just to make childish remarks take it somewhere else on another post not mine then you get another clown following you and another one circuses are a dying occupation.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And you don't even know what you're talkin about silicone will collect dust. Get off my post and grow up sos.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,239 Posts
When you ask...silly questions, you get silly answers. Why reinvent the wheel? Just use the paper filter and call it a day.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,239 Posts
Well....I think this has been answered...then some. Let's just call it a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.