S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well I was thinking of shaving my side door mirrors, but just want to make sure its legal to do so. I live in Florida. I looked through the statutes and here is the only one I could find that had to really do with the mirror requirements:

316.294 Mirrors.--Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

So that seems that as long as I have my rear-view mirror in the truck, then the side view mirrors are optional right? There was another statute that said if your vehicle has a non-transparent rear window then you are required to have both side mirrors. What do you guys think? Any FL cops on here? Thanks!
- Mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what it sounds like....but typically thats what the law is. i know in NY thats how it is
Yeah, but I wanna be able to see in writing where the law requires it here in FL, or if there is a set of statutes that applies to all states and has something about it. I am trying to get down to the facts here, so many cops love to make up crap that turns out to not even exist, like my twisted tag. I got pulled over for that and the cop said "your tag has to be below your tail lights and completely strait", after researching it, there is no statute that has those requirements at all. A buddy of mine has no side mirrors and gets pulled over often for all the other things on his truck, but never ever has a cop or state trooper said anything about his side mirrors, and they wrote him warnings for every little thing they could find.
- Mike

·
GETTING V8'ED
12,238 Posts
found this

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 111 is a specification pertaining to the rear vision parts of a vehicle. This federal standard outlines important safety requirements as it relates to automotive mirrors. FMVSS 111 specifies the required range of vision that the driver must achieve utilizing rear vision products. These ranges are both horizontal and vertical angles from the side and rear of the vehicle. In addition, FMVSS 111 states that rear vision products "…shall have an average reflectance of at least 35 percent" (OEM mirrors are typically between 40% and 60% reflective). This part of the spec is achieved through the use of special first-surface chrome glass. If there was a convex part on the vehicle originally, it should be replaced with a convex part etched with the proper "OBJECTS APPEAR…" statement. Household mirror should NOT be used in automotive mirror applications.

Our Interpretation of the Standard:

Passenger vehicles must have an inside mirror along with a driver's side mirror for rear viewing. If viewing from an inside mirror is impossible; example a cube van, then the vehicle must have a passenger side mirror along with a driver's side mirror.

The passenger side mirror is optional as long as there is a field of vision from using an inside rearview mirror. The passenger side mirror can be flat or convex. If it is convex, the insignia "Objects are closer than they appear" must be inscribed on the face.

The key function for rearview mirrors is to maximize the field of vision of the area behind the driver. The convex mirror was designed to increase that field of view. The federal law does not specifically dictate usage of convex mirror for passenger side viewing; however, to be on the safe side, if a convex mirror part was originally used then convex should be reinstalled to maintain the maximum field of vision

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found this

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 111 is a specification pertaining to the rear vision parts of a vehicle. This federal standard outlines important safety requirements as it relates to automotive mirrors. FMVSS 111 specifies the required range of vision that the driver must achieve utilizing rear vision products. These ranges are both horizontal and vertical angles from the side and rear of the vehicle. In addition, FMVSS 111 states that rear vision products "…shall have an average reflectance of at least 35 percent" (OEM mirrors are typically between 40% and 60% reflective). This part of the spec is achieved through the use of special first-surface chrome glass. If there was a convex part on the vehicle originally, it should be replaced with a convex part etched with the proper "OBJECTS APPEAR…" statement. Household mirror should NOT be used in automotive mirror applications.

Passenger vehicles must have an inside mirror along with a driver's side mirror for rear viewing. If viewing from an inside mirror is impossible; example a cube van, then the vehicle must have a passenger side mirror along with a driver's side mirror.

The passenger side mirror is optional as long as there is a field of vision from using an inside rearview mirror. The passenger side mirror can be flat or convex. If it is convex, the insignia "Objects are closer than they appear" must be inscribed on the face.

The key function for rearview mirrors is to maximize the field of vision of the area behind the driver. The convex mirror was designed to increase that field of view. The federal law does not specifically dictate usage of convex mirror for passenger side viewing; however, to be on the safe side, if a convex mirror part was originally used then convex should be reinstalled to maintain the maximum field of vision
Who is the one who wrote that and is interpreting it, because I wouldn't interpret it as requiring that there be a side view mirror on the driver side as long as you can achieve the viewing angle requirements using rear view mirrors mounted in the truck.
- Mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alright, well I found what I was looking for:

" S5.2 Outside rearview mirror--driver's side.
S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside
mirror of unit magnification. The mirror shall provide the driver a view
of a level road surface extending to the horizon from a line,
perpendicular to a longitudinal plane tangent to the driver's side of
the vehicle at the widest point, extending 2.4 m out from the tangent
plane 10.7 m behind the driver's eyes, with the seat in the rearmost
position. The line of sight may be partially obscured by rear body or
fender contours. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall
be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104
(Sec. 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile
male driver.
S5.3 Outside rearview mirror passenger's side. Each passenger car
whose inside rearview mirror does not meet the field of view
requirements of S5.1.1 shall have an outside mirror of unit
magnification or a convex mirror installed on the passenger's side. The
mirror mounting shall provide a stable support and be free of sharp
points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury. The mirror
need not be adjustable from the driver's seat but shall be capable of
adjustment by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions."

Thats what i was looking for, something in writing that specifically defined the requirements. Well, I guess I will stick with my sport mirrors then :rant:
I wish i could fine some smaller mirrors to use that looked good besides the StreetScene type sport mirrors. M3 mirrors are ugly and i am not fan of motorcycle mirrors. Any other ideas on some decent looking mirrors?
- Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts