•All Top Quality gaskets
and Teflon rings
  • New HiFlo filter with corvette servos
  • All new steels,4140 pump rings
  • All new bushings,500 boost valve
  • Borg Warner Clutches, wide open throttle 3-4 shift valve
  • Double gauge input sprag, aluminum 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators
  • Borg Warner 8 pack, 3-4 clutches
  • Beast Sun Shell Custom valve body is worked and can be shifted manually and hold any RPM til shift. with a one-year unlimited mile warranty

Your Stage 3 Mad Dog Reprogramming Kit, Mad Dog shift kit, and Borg Warner 8 pack, All Borg Warner clutches through out the rest of the unit, all new full thickness steels per request,Kevlar band, bushings, and rings. A 500 boost valve, New 10 vane pump rotor. Well also use our 4140 hardened pump rings, hardened input shaft and 4l79 drum, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element double gauge sprag, 5 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed), the wide high-temp Pro-series Kevlar band, Corvette Servo and a Super heavy-duty Beast sun shell.This transmission can also be setup for pulling and towing as you mentioned. Let us know if you figured out the 25-2800 or 3000+ stall please...
-Lou
(770) 781-0949
Let's say under 2800 installed?? Jump on it?? Ask for changes b4 I order Monday? What yall think. Also going with a 3000ish stall after talking to a few guys at my local speedshop

·
Randy
603 Posts
The build list from Mad Dog is pretty much standard for the level it looks like you requested. Probably a $2800-$3000 trans with the 4L79 drum and Stall converter.
I didn't know Mad-Dog installed anything...

Reactions: Beasyphone

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The build list from Mad Dog is pretty much standard for the level it looks like you requested. Probably a $2800-$3000 trans with the 4L79 drum and Stall converter.
I didn't know Mad-Dog installed anything...
Good to know. Lou was being pretty patient with about 1000 questions I had written down from what I'd read. What I talked to my father about(retired nhra/engineer), and ls1t... and of course here lol. So many conflicting opinions on clutch packs but I determined at my very minimal hp and setup thst BW was worth a couple bucks more to not worry.This truck has been a beast even after nitrous, just kept eating scrap 4l60s, thanks to literally a few 80+ weeks and a boss willing to help financially as well I'll finally be able to...well break the next weakest link lol. I'm just ready to not be driving a "power glide " ..these past few days I think I'm averaging like 85cents a milehwy. Maybe 1.00 city lol..I thankfully have a great exhaust so it doesn't drone my ears out but geez, I'm ready for 3rd and od back....so many lil mustangs and every gm (insert charger challenger Magnum, other trucks) think I'm toying and it's driving me nuts lol...I CANT GO ANY FASTER! And I've also noticed how much I actually must speed, bcuz I feel like I'm about to get rear-ended on 35-45 mph roads CONSTANTLY , and usually I'm at LEAST flowing with traffic if not chilling up front with the "quicker groups"..I mean a 97 year old woman in a 94 roadmaster sped around me Flippin the bird earlier for jokers sake! Lol

·
DILLIGAF
468 Posts
Stay the F*$k away from Mad Dog. I'm on my second transmission in my "98 S10. The last one was a Stage 2, level 2 4L60E. I have the same problem with this one that I had with the stock one. I had slamming shifts from 1 to 2. If shifted so hard it cracked my spring mounts and I ended up throwing my drive shaft out in the street when the spring perch broke off and the rear end shifted. I'm in Creedmoor by the way. Howdy neighbor. I also contacted Mad Dog and told them about the shifting issue. I told them I put the transmission in my shed on the shipping pallet where is sat for a year. They told me it was out of warranty when I had it installed and it was my problem. Look at the link I'm posting and check out the reviews. Mad dog transmission reviews - Google Search. Here's something to think about too. They say they test all their transmissions in there van on the road. I want to know what kind of magic van they have that fits every transmission?

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Stay the F*$k away from Mad Dog. I'm on my second transmission in my "98 S10. The last one was a Stage 2, level 2 4L60E. I have the same problem with this one that I had with the stock one. I had slamming shifts from 1 to 2. If shifted so hard it cracked my spring mounts and I ended up throwing my drive shaft out in the street when the spring perch broke off and the rear end shifted. I'm in Creedmoor by the way. Howdy neighbor. I also contacted Mad Dog and told them about the shifting issue. I told them I put the transmission in my shed on the shipping pallet where is sat for a year. They told me it was out of warranty when I had it installed and it was my problem. Look at the link I'm posting and check out the reviews. Mad dog transmission reviews - Google Search. Here's something to think about too. They say they test all their transmissions in there van on the road. I want to know what kind of magic van they have that fits every transmission?
Ever thought maybe someone went in the pcm and adjusted the transmission settings? I mean, if a rebuilt unit did the same thing as a stock unit I would be looking into it further.

·
DILLIGAF
468 Posts
I have a Hypertech tuner and I made sure the settings were stock. I even changed out the PCM. I'm also the original owner of this truck.

·
DILLIGAF
468 Posts
I also posted a review on Google last night. Look what they had to say about it.

·
Been there Done it
12,460 Posts
Google says the review is no longer available. Guess you hurt someones feelings.
They're just another smoke and mirrors place like Monster. I've seen their ads and it's obvious they know more about online advertising than they do about transmissions. Your best bet is to find a local independent transmission shop with a good rep. They can build it any way you'd like.
Probably for less and are right there if you have an issue.

·
DILLIGAF
468 Posts
Google says the review is no longer available. Guess you hurt someones feelings.
They're just another smoke and mirrors place like Monster. I've seen their ads and it's obvious they know more about online advertising than they do about transmissions. Your best bet is to find a local independent transmission shop with a good rep. They can build it any way you'd like.
Probably for less and are right there if you have an issue.
This is their responce.
Response from the owner 21 hours ago
We don't need customers like you make sure you tell all your friends

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ever thought maybe someone went in the pcm and adjusted the transmission settings? I mean, if a rebuilt unit did the same thing as a stock unit I would be looking into it further.
I know in Donnie Ray's newer S10 he built after I bought this one, he had mentioned doing that and also had line pressures (in his words) "to the moon" on his setups..my current junker is right at 3% above stock numbers.well WAS, im still piddling around in 2nd gear as Mad Dog is pretty much out of the top runnin I reckon lol
Yeah Dana at PB looks like over 3k which I don't have...so back to square uno..I actually met a guy, I hired on to help finish a bar in cary nc who had bought a B1trans here in Leland I think. Kinda jokingly about Yeah he had my trans in his living room,but showed me a pic. Apparently all he is does is rebuilt 4ls so I might give the guy a call about adding the parts I wanted and see what his 800$ junkyard special turns into. But from what I've read heard and now met a guy with one, all there is well is praise, and hey man. If he fills a transmission up with Jesus for me ?? Why not lol, I know I could use a splash of that time to time haha

·
Randy
603 Posts
Well I have to say that there are some HONEST Craigslist builder's out there...

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ya know I honestly hadn't considered that, I did put a couple feelers out on offer up which I use a lot, and 2 of the guys were same from yelp..Hernandez mobile which I "tried" to talk to .that's a big negatory.and the other wanted 2k for a junkyard "rebuilt" but sounded as confident as my ex wife talking about rolling sushi..Love that woman to death, but steer clear from her nigiri unless ya like Halloween b rated slaughterhouse shreds in some salty rice balls haha. Bless her heart. I'll look into that tomoro brother Thanks for the refresher. I'm honestly burning up over here. And I think your right, I might should just cut my brain off the out of state thing if I'm getting this uncomfortable already? Thought Patriots quote was OK but now I got sent a bunch if terrible "after the buy" nightmare stories! I also want to talk to B1 again. That guy seems genuine and he's right around Jacksonville which isn't a very bad trip. Hell maybe I'll use the beach as an excuse 🤔

·
Registered
523 Posts
After building many engines, I've finally got the resolve and guts to try an auto trans rebuild. It's just parts and assembly. I got a fixture to hold one on an engine stand with shafts vertical and an old friend has the specialty tools I'll need on a 4L60E. I want to learn to do 4L80E's I have more of them than any other but do have Blazers and S10 pickups with 4L60E's.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I kind of took your advice, I talked to my plumber again, and AGAIN had nothing but praises for Brent at B1, and I was supposed to be a Brent anyways. Ok I kid. But I started. Dialogue. He was willing to do a stockish 4l60 w/slightly "better than stock" but still basically stock from junkyard or blown purchased cases (which is 90% of his biz) I'm going on what I was told. For 700. Which isn't far off what I paid Sir Walter Chevrolet (950) for my current injured one..anyhow!! I asked about sending him parts and he said "No Problem!" Long as it ain't some Chinese ebay crud, ill be happy to help you build your trans neighbor..in so many words. Great, now I can't find a kit with everything I think I want. I am NOT asking for a parts list. I've been doing my research I even joined another ls group to find 1 guy and get the ability to ask a question.turns out he's performabilt and wanted 2500 for advice jk. But the 4l79 drum. Do you know if those come stacked up. Do I need an alto clutch kit with that, and I've pretty much Been talked into oem clutches with BW frictions at this point as red eagle have less coefficient so tech slip more? Wait or was that the nitridited steels, or whatever kolene bad, stock better...Kevlar band bad carbon better,im so lost in all this new information I've gathered I've dun confused myself again. My point is he wanted 700 for a ready to go, we briefly talked and if I send him parts or kit and he keeps all his stuff, I have (to me) a pocket full of money lol....so.. stock 4 pinion is all I need even if I did go nitrous again. Solenoids servos possible input but I've read done slightly wrong can cause immediate failure and makes sense. Why risk the biscuit when I'm barely at 400hp. So oe clutches BW frictions hell now I'm begging again...ill get my thoughts straight eventually. I have zero clue what I'm doing , maybe I'll just tell him what I run and let him build one with 2k see what happens. What could possibly go wrong right ✅,
-Bret Eliezer-

·
Randy
603 Posts
So I kind of took your advice, I talked to my plumber again, and AGAIN had nothing but praises for Brent at B1, and I was supposed to be a Brent anyways. Ok I kid. But I started. Dialogue. He was willing to do a stockish 4l60 w/slightly "better than stock" but still basically stock from junkyard or blown purchased cases (which is 90% of his biz) I'm going on what I was told. For 700. Which isn't far off what I paid Sir Walter Chevrolet (950) for my current injured one..anyhow!! I asked about sending him parts and he said "No Problem!" Long as it ain't some Chinese ebay crud, ill be happy to help you build your trans neighbor..in so many words. Great, now I can't find a kit with everything I think I want. I am NOT asking for a parts list. I've been doing my research I even joined another ls group to find 1 guy and get the ability to ask a question.turns out he's performabilt and wanted 2500 for advice jk. But the 4l79 drum. Do you know if those come stacked up. Do I need an alto clutch kit with that, and I've pretty much Been talked into oem clutches with BW frictions at this point as red eagle have less coefficient so tech slip more? Wait or was that the nitridited steels, or whatever kolene bad, stock better...Kevlar band bad carbon better,im so lost in all this new information I've gathered I've dun confused myself again. My point is he wanted 700 for a ready to go, we briefly talked and if I send him parts or kit and he keeps all his stuff, I have (to me) a pocket full of money lol....so.. stock 4 pinion is all I need even if I did go nitrous again. Solenoids servos possible input but I've read done slightly wrong can cause immediate failure and makes sense. Why risk the biscuit when I'm barely at 400hp. So oe clutches BW frictions hell now I'm begging again...ill get my thoughts straight eventually. I have zero clue what I'm doing , maybe I'll just tell him what I run and let him build one with 2k see what happens. What could possibly go wrong right ✅,
-Bret Eliezer-
the 4L75, 4L78 & 4L79 drums come with 3-4 frictions to match all the drums.
the 4L75 come with oversized (350 turbo diameter) Raybestos GPZ 3-4 frictions.
The 4L78 is a threaded cap drum that uses standard Raybestos GPZ-100 frictions.
The 4L79 is a threaded cap drum that uses oversized Raybestos GPZ frictions.
FWIW, here is my stage two set up.
Stage 2 500HP no nos

Stage 2 500HP
  • 74002E 93-2003 or 74002GA 2004-up Gasket and seal kit
  • A74002EC 96-2003 or A74010ED 2004-up deep pan filter
  • A74020BAHK Raybestos GPZ 2-5/8” wide 2-4 band
  • 74119BS1 Complete Raybestos Stage 1 w/8 Raybestos frictions
  • 7) 74120HP .077 Kolene steels, 1) 74120BHP .060 Kolene if needed for proper pack clearance. (Place at top of pack for heat dissipation)
  • Necessary steels
  • Essential bushing kit, 74034B, 44036B, 74037A, DB74056B, 74064 with wide or Teflon bushings where applicable
  • S74507PE-1 Oversized pressure regulator valve
  • A74658C B/W 29 element Input sprag
  • A74654A B/W Low roller element
  • D74435B New EPC solenoid
  • 2) D74421 New Shift solenoids
  • A74624B Hardened reaction sun shell
  • 74556B Rev. input drum
  • A74927, A74927A, A74927BA Aluminum Accumulators
  • A74905BK Corvette servo
  • T74171E TransGo HD-2 shift kit. (allows holding 1st to any RPM)[eBay USA ind. saves $$]
  • T74165HP No yo-yo pump ring kit
  • S74902H Superior 4th super servo
  • S74741S-1A Sonnax HD 3-2 shift valve (applies Overrun frictions in 3rd,2nd & 1st.
  • Vacuum test valve body (repair leaks in 3-4 circuit as needed)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
the 4L75, 4L78 & 4L79 drums come with 3-4 frictions to match all the drums.
the 4L75 come with oversized (350 turbo diameter) Raybestos GPZ 3-4 frictions.
The 4L78 is a threaded cap drum that uses standard Raybestos GPZ-100 frictions.
The 4L79 is a threaded cap drum that uses oversized Raybestos GPZ frictions.
FWIW, here is my stage two set up.
Stage 2 500HP no nos

Stage 2 500HP
  • 74002E 93-2003 or 74002GA 2004-up Gasket and seal kit
  • A74002EC 96-2003 or A74010ED 2004-up deep pan filter
  • A74020BAHK Raybestos GPZ 2-5/8” wide 2-4 band
  • 74119BS1 Complete Raybestos Stage 1 w/8 Raybestos frictions
  • 7) 74120HP .077 Kolene steels, 1) 74120BHP .060 Kolene if needed for proper pack clearance. (Place at top of pack for heat dissipation)
  • Necessary steels
  • Essential bushing kit, 74034B, 44036B, 74037A, DB74056B, 74064 with wide or Teflon bushings where applicable
  • S74507PE-1 Oversized pressure regulator valve
  • A74658C B/W 29 element Input sprag
  • A74654A B/W Low roller element
  • D74435B New EPC solenoid
  • 2) D74421 New Shift solenoids
  • A74624B Hardened reaction sun shell
  • 74556B Rev. input drum
  • A74927, A74927A, A74927BA Aluminum Accumulators
  • A74905BK Corvette servo
  • T74171E TransGo HD-2 shift kit. (allows holding 1st to any RPM)[eBay USA ind. saves $$]
  • T74165HP No yo-yo pump ring kit
  • S74902H Superior 4th super servo
  • S74741S-1A Sonnax HD 3-2 shift valve (applies Overrun frictions in 3rd,2nd & 1st.
  • Vacuum test valve body (repair leaks in 3-4 circuit as needed)
Yeah I saw summit had the transgo shift kit at almost 200, thought thst seemed high, also thought the ebay ones might be Chinese too just being open here lol. That looks super tough indeed, thank you

·
Randy
603 Posts
Yeah I saw summit had the transgo shift kit at almost 200, thought thst seemed high, also thought the ebay ones might be Chinese too just being open here lol. That looks super tough indeed, thank you
on ebay look for USA industries, automax,transmax & transmission jobber as sellers. all sell at good prices & have genuine stuff. those are the ones I use for my performance stuff. 90% of my shift kits come from USA industries.
you can use 4L79.com directly too, just go to their website

21 - 38 of 38 Posts