S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So WhiteTrash just finished, well started dining on her third 4l60e since getting my engine built...most likely 3-4 clutch pack would be my guess over solenoid, could be both, hell..I don't care .On a new job but gotta keep this thing on the road, Do I 1. Toss another 4l60 in it, 2. How intense is throwing a 5spd in this beast, 3. Affordable auto upgrade out there? This one drives (manual valve style 1-2-3rd 75%, can catch overdrive on flats but today started revving out slightly, downshift to third on hills, stoplights start back at 2nd go up , rinse repeat kinda deal. But I'm also 100% aware it just gonna die and Rev out leaving me stranded (like the last one did) lol.. throw some ideas at your boy! Thanks guys!! N Gals!!
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
m
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Swapping anything else in there would be a big project with the 4wd. Why not get one built to last? You can put together a pretty stout 4L60E for under $2k. Even with the price of everything going up.
Avoid any place like Monster. Should be called Mobster because it is an ongoing criminal enterprise.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was looking at ATF in FL but shipping would eat me alive. There's a few places around me in NC but all WELL over 2k. My big issue is down time ..I need my cake , need to eat it, matter of fact .spoonfed lol...broke"n"spoiled...2 terrible ideas.. but on the real, it seems that 3-4 clutches, well first one exploded on I40 NOT racing. These last 2 start revvingbout so yeah u think clutches whatever its from ...valve body issue, what have you ..they won't hold stock, so gonna have to at least get sturdy clutch packs...2nd major prob; I've NEVER opened anything but my power glide and that was with an engineer/1960s-80s nhra father lol...oh also my mechanic is a Marine and he stuck his head in too many jars cuz last month he "forgot " to not use a high torque impact wrench on all my suspension and stripped every bolt under my front end.....

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
once you 'lose' a trans, you have it rebuilt stronger to never have to do it again. If youve toasted 3 now, well, youve surpassed the cost of building a good one.
I have a 4l60e, never ran it, just dropped it off to the builder and said make it hold 500hp and a 250 shot of naws on a 3600 stall.
i still have no problems.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swapping anything else in there would be a big project with the 4wd. Why not get one built to last? You can put together a pretty stout 4L60E for under $2k. Even with the price of everything going up.
Avoid any place like Monster. Should be called Mobster because it is an ongoing criminal enterprise.
Also I am 1000% ok with never using front axles if they can just float there and be happy, I have a perfectly good bass knob that could replace that panel if a 5 spd fits the rest of the bill..I've used my 4x4 twice...in the same day...on a jobsite. . I quit that job bcuz 20$hr isn't worth burying pipe
once you 'lose' a trans, you have it rebuilt stronger to never have to do it again. If youve toasted 3 now, well, youve surpassed the cost of building a good one.
I have a 4l60e, never ran it, just dropped it off to the builder and said make it hold 500hp and a 250 shot of naws on a 3600 stall.
i still have no problems.
I'm barely holding it down as it is, lkq style pick n pull , give to a dealership friend is how I've gotten by, I am 100% aware I could have built a nasty trans by now, well in that right I should be driving a 2022 girl bcuz of all the used vehicles I've owned ..I've never had the money to buy or build a trans, im a relatively young man in construction with 2 kids and a house, just starting a company back up after getting out of the icu in late January this year from October last year.(multiple organ failure,corneal transplants and a ton of complications/ i:e pneumonia, blood infection etc) I'm grateful to be alive but also have about 870k In medical bills currently..so no....I don't have the money to really do anything but maybe get a junk one out of a v61500 and possibly have my boss help me build one up a bit with at least clutch packs. But as of right now, that'll leave me down to long...so stuck in a bind..just wanted to see if there were any options out there 🤔 thanks tho, also great lookin truck!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm barely holding it down as it is, .....r getting out of the icu in late January this year from October
hell ya, glad to know youre out and ok, and doing what you can to keep a roof over your head. If youre lucky you can find a buddy that maybe you can trade work with to get a trans built up some to help you out.
Maybe you can find a 4l80 and have a tougher stock trans right from the get go.
Is there anything else you need? maybe one of us might have something laying around the shop to help out?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks first off! Yeah I wasn't even walking in February and I'm on ladders and framing away as it is, just finished a bar, well punchlist is 3 miles long but total remodel. Feeling ok. My truck hurting is just attempting to be that straw ya know? Feel upside down. With the 4l80, would that require bell/tunnel modification, driveshaft? Bcuz I thought about that originally. whoa italic out of nowhere ... on your question, nah I think the trans issue is my on one right now, just did a full front end replacement (joints,control arms,shocks,ties,steering rack,bearings,etc up to plugs wires coil/sender,, distributer and all...just overwhelmed, and yes I have a buddy in Boston looking at his junkyards he deals with and a friend in Ohio that put in this last one on the lookout but no leads yet

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
324 Posts
I did a really quick Craigslist search and found a 4L60E in the Canton/ Akron, Ohio area. It's out of a '04 Blazer 4x4 w/ ~ 130K miles on it. The posting refers to a video to confirm that the transmission has no issues. He's asking $500 for the trans mated up with the transfer case, and $400 for just the transmission and torque converter. I don't know if that may or may not fit in with your plans/ budget/ needs. But, it's a FWIW thing, and here's the link: 4l60E 4x4 blazer - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale. Good luck, and I'll keep my eye out for one closer to NC. BTW, what part of NC are you in?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a really quick Craigslist search and found a 4L60E in the Canton/ Akron, Ohio area. It's out of a '04 Blazer 4x4 w/ ~ 130K miles on it. The posting refers to a video to confirm that the transmission has no issues. He's asking $500 for the trans mated up with the transfer case, and $400 for just the transmission and torque converter. I don't know if that may or may not fit in with your plans/ budget/ needs. But, it's a FWIW thing, and here's the link: 4l60E 4x4 blazer - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale. Good luck, and I'll keep my eye out for one closer to NC. BTW, what part of NC are you in?
Wanted to respond before I even clicked the link.to say Thank You! I'm in Raleigh, NC. I actually have family in Ohio, including my old mechanic (the one who put this trans in lolol). Yes that is 100 in my budget, ill have to look into shipping from different parts too, see of I can't "hitch a ride" with another load..something else I'll look into. That does sound like a good donor or one to roll while I find a shell to maybe build over time, lots to figure out but ill look. Also I did more research on the 4l80. That's gonna be cut shaft, harness pcm blah blah not in my budget these days although the idea of a bullet proof 4l80 sounds great...so do a lot of things, like another s10 to bag again ! Thanks brother!
Bret

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
324 Posts
Wanted to respond before I even clicked the link.to say Thank You! I'm in Raleigh, NC. I actually have family in Ohio, including my old mechanic (the one who put this trans in lolol). Yes that is 100 in my budget, ill have to look into shipping from different parts too, see of I can't "hitch a ride" with another load..something else I'll look into. That does sound like a good donor or one to roll while I find a shell to maybe build over time, lots to figure out but ill look. Also I did more research on the 4l80. That's gonna be cut shaft, harness pcm blah blah not in my budget these days although the idea of a bullet proof 4l80 sounds great...so do a lot of things, like another s10 to bag again ! Thanks brother!
Bret
Well, you're not "too far" from me, as I'm in Roanoke VA. Glad to hopefully help out. Have you looked into overnight FedEX - can't be too much for that option! :oops: I have no idea what freight costs are these days, but it sounds like FOB piggybacking is a good place to staqrt looking. Wait..............an epiphany.............join Amazon Prime ($12.95/ mo), have the seller put the trans on Amazon, you immediately order it, and get free shipping! (Yeah, good luck with that scheme!)

A quick update. I came across another 4L60E near Huntington, WV, which is a bunch closer than the previous one. It apparently 'only' has ~103K miles on it, from a '96 S10, and the listed price was $275. I've attached the link for your reference: 4L60E s10 transmission - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive... It might be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I'm in Richlands NC. Look up Bobby Brinkley transmissions. He is in Kinston. A lot of the local F body guys ran his 4l60e's back in the day. Make sure you are flushing the trans cooler in the radiator when you swap them out.

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Better yet, splurge $100 and throw out the old one. Might be the reason your truck is eating transmissions. The trans cooler can hold a lot of powdered metal and release it over time. When I ordered an expensive built 4T65E-HD for my LS4 GXP the builder said no receipt for a new rad, no warranty.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Better yet, splurge $100 and throw out the old one. Might be the reason your truck is eating transmissions. The trans cooler can hold a lot of powdered metal and release it over time. When I ordered an expensive built 4T65E-HD for my LS4 GXP the builder said no receipt for a new rad, no warranty.
Ya know that did not cross ny mind as "flush" always made me say "great done" hmmm. If so I got words with Sir Walter chevrolet lol

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in Richlands NC. Look up Bobby Brinkley transmissions. He is in Kinston. A lot of the local F body guys ran his 4l60e's back in the day. Make sure you are flushing the trans cooler in the radiator when you swap them out.
Will do Brother! Thank you. I'm I'm Cameron Village right outside DT raleigh. My neighbors have McClarens and GalendaVagons , I've got a 1943 brick and diet driveway lol..(only cool neighbor builds cj5s. Been talking to B1trans and they've kept talking about a beast with zpak and servos /piston etc for around 1200, but I,m sure can't install myself in a dirt driveway with a jack that's already tried to eat me twice lol..jegs has awesome stuff but I'm str8 window shopping at 2k...

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soooooooo!!!!! My boss is reluctantly (he only believes in the "unstoppable" "power" and "reliability " of his 6.0 Ford fleet that he polishes every morning to drive into muddy jobsites...and his black ones bed is held on by wood 1 bolt and zip ties but I DIGRESS! BLESS HIS COFUSED SOUL.hes gonna help me finance a built trans, B1transmission here in nc,and Dynamic in Akron area/ Tallmadge ?? Are putting together some build lists. Beast sunshell corvette servos sprags red eagle clutches new steels can't remember everything by said but again gotta get their builds together soooooo what "budgetish" parts do I need to include otherwise..both companies said they'd had ok luck with zpaks "raysbestos blah blah heg black not green" but seems red eagle is the better option for not an arm n leg more. Beast seems to be most reliable upgrade FOR the $$$, so on...you guys rock so much more than you know, or maybe ya do! Lol. Hey to my VA boys??, might have to get yall a raleigh hotel for a couple nights and some ignite on me! Come help my dumb ass get this sucker out/in! Ok I can probably do the cannibalizing BUT I may also should stay away from it as I am known to use sawzalls to cut my kids waffles if left to my own devices.....thank you thank, the 2 used trans that had my attention here were indeed THE beat options on the east coast by far. My boss is coming in clutch letting me finance with his wallet so thank space Jesus for that...of course by now I'll prob end up needing to refresh my motor lol..never ending cycle continues! Soooooo parts??? Haha and in case my boss finds this as all I do is talk about my brother's and sisters on s10forum all day LOVE YA STEVE ,NO I WONT EVER SELL MY S10S AND NO I DONT WANT YOUR STUPID 6.0

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sooo...I layed off the monster energy for a week, can think straight again lol. So got about 2k together. Has anyone used mad dog transmission before? I've been talking to Lou and seems like a pretty straight shooter, not a big talker, but I get it. Patriot sent me a build sheet but the guys at ls1te...said 699 is often expensive for a 4l79 drum instal and even offered to ship me 1 for 450. Which does me no good bcuz I am not an auto teans builder lol. Anyhow, here's the patriot quote, +maddog LV3 with a few things he suggested
Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Font Number
was around 2200..I emailed another company CPT I think but haven't heard back yet...so that's where I'm at now lol..still might holler at you VA boys , maybe put yall up for a night to help R+R???
Font Parallel Magenta Number Screenshot

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sooo...I layed off the monster energy for a week, can think straight again lol. So got about 2k together. Has anyone used mad dog transmission before? I've been talking to Lou and seems like a pretty straight shooter, not a big talker, but I get it. Patriot sent me a build sheet but the guys at ls1te...said 699 is often expensive for a 4l79 drum instal and even offered to ship me 1 for 450. Which does me no good bcuz I am not an auto teans builder lol. Anyhow, here's the patriot quote, +maddog LV3 with a few things he suggested View attachment 354097 View attachment 354098 was around 2200..I emailed another company CPT I think but haven't heard back yet...so that's where I'm at now lol..still might holler at you VA boys , maybe put yall up for a night to help R+R??? View attachment 354096
My auto correct is terrible

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,357 Posts
Do some research...I can't be sure since it hasn't come up for awhile, but they may be the shop with a bad reputation.

EDIT:...it was Monster transmissions...disregard the Mad Dog comment.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do some research...I can't be sure since it hasn't come up for awhile, but they may be the shop with a bad reputation.

EDIT:...it was Monster transmissions...disregard the Mad Dog comment.
Yeah, monster STILL has an F with BBB , even tho it really hasn't updated online as I saw. Lou had "heard of" my dads nhra car as they both raced at Englishtown. Similar names dad=mad Frenchman, lou=mad Greek. So who knows. He apparently has a pretty big 4l following with the later LS stuff. Definitely taking my time. Patriot is absolutely fantastic about answering questions, just trying to figure out a few things. Patriot seems more off the shelf, maddog seems more made to order, so figuring out exactly what I want off the menu is where I'm at..just weird for me, I've never bought a trans online and given it's not a million bucks, its a huge deal for me. And im having trouble finding my build sheets, I found the original cam paperwork but the damn thing was on nitrous back then lol, a lot has changed since that build. So I don't want to guess and grab a 32-3500 stall if I need a 22-2500 etc. I don't even remember what the darn thing cruises at, best guess is around 26-2700 in 4th. So yeah...wanna keep digging as RPM isn't being very helpful.(long story, I kinda left there on ugly termd) oh also I sent Mayhem the patriot quote and with install and tune it totals over 3700 so they can keep on doing whatever the hell they want. I'll find another tuner

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maddogtransmissions.com
10/6/21
[email protected][email protected]
Attn: Bret Eliezer
▪︎L3/4 4l60e 1999 S10 292cid 6cyl 4X4

■All new lip seals, Teflon coated pump bushing
•All Top Quality gaskets
and Teflon rings
  • New HiFlo filter with corvette servos
  • All new steels,4140 pump rings
  • All new bushings,500 boost valve
  • Borg Warner Clutches, wide open throttle 3-4 shift valve
  • Double gauge input sprag, aluminum 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators
  • Borg Warner 8 pack, 3-4 clutches
  • Beast Sun Shell Custom valve body is worked and can be shifted manually and hold any RPM til shift. with a one-year unlimited mile warranty

Your Stage 3 Mad Dog Reprogramming Kit, Mad Dog shift kit, and Borg Warner 8 pack, All Borg Warner clutches through out the rest of the unit, all new full thickness steels per request,Kevlar band, bushings, and rings. A 500 boost valve, New 10 vane pump rotor. Well also use our 4140 hardened pump rings, hardened input shaft and 4l79 drum, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element double gauge sprag, 5 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed), the wide high-temp Pro-series Kevlar band, Corvette Servo and a Super heavy-duty Beast sun shell.This transmission can also be setup for pulling and towing as you mentioned. Let us know if you figured out the 25-2800 or 3000+ stall please...
-Lou
(770) 781-0949

1 - 20 of 38 Posts