S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock speakers have about 105,000 miles on them. The previous owner must have had a really good time with them cause they sound rough now.

To fix this I wanna replace the 6.5"s in the doors and replace the 4x10's in the back with 6.5"s. I just want to keep the stock radio and wires the same and just replace the shot stock speakers. If I get four decent 2-way speakers to replace the door and back speakers, would that be a good move? Is there enough metal for me to cut out a bit and put 6.5"s in the back?

·
CURL UP AND DIE
357 Posts
if at all possible you should bust out a dremel tool and put in some 6 X 9 's... i know guys with 6.5's all around and for the front stage it sounds good but the rear deck doesnt really sound all that great... IMO Ant

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
your not going to be able to fit a 6x9 or a 6 1/2 in there the 4x10's use to go, the panel is just not wide enough.

if any thing, i would just replace the 6 1/2's in the doors, the 4x6's in the dash, and the 4x10's all with new speakers. keeping all the factory sizes, you should be happy with that. then you could always add and amp and a sub later on.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My rule of thumb is that round speakers will always sound better than an oblong speaker....the weird shaped ones just can't get the sound out as crisp and even as a round speaker can....

To be honest, i'd ditch all the speakers except for the front doors, and get a QUALITY component set and a nice little amp for them, and you'll have a nice clear, crisp, high quality sound stage..

·
Purple Member
919 Posts
you theory is right infact it is scientific truth, the sound waves from a round speaker meet at one point and oblong speakers can't achieve this. or something like that a physics teacher told me something about it before. Question though if this is true do square subs suck for sq?

Ty

·
Registered
746 Posts
sdime18 said:
you theory is right infact it is scientific truth, the sound waves from a round speaker meet at one point and oblong speakers can't achieve this. or something like that a physics teacher told me something about it before. Question though if this is true do square subs suck for sq?

Ty
like a round speaker, square subs are perfectly symmetrical....so the air being moved by the cone is gonna be the same around the whole speaker....i think :twak:

·
CURL UP AND DIE
357 Posts
the projection on a square sub would obviously be different in comparison to a round sub...the square subs would more than likely sound louder because of more straight forward projection, depending on where you are located in the vehicle obviously. my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts