S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
brakes hate me
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting an aluminnum driveshaft from a silverado to have it shortened to fit my car. the problem is, there is only one shop in town who can shorten an aluminum shaft, but they do not balance them. I assume the driveshaft is balanced from the factory, but as long as it is welded back together right, is there any reason to rebalance it?

·
Trust Me
24,785 Posts
I would recomend that it be balanced after it was shortened just because it has already been balanced, as you said from the factory, however now that it's shorter, it also weighs less and the factory balance will not affect your driveshaft properly. And it possibly will lead to it wobbling and a bumpy ride and what not.

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
get it welded first, then balance it else where

·
I call her: NIGHTMARE
2,124 Posts
depends if the place you get it balanced has aluminum balance weights and aluminum welding capable.

·
I'm slap happy, bitches!
2,178 Posts
take it to one shop that an do both.

i see this in the future.....

my truck vibrates like a bitch at 55 mph, it cant be the driveshaft.

yeah it can.

i took it to the shop that balanced it, and they said the shop that shortened it ****ed it up, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

i took it back to the shop that shortened it, and they said the balance was done wrong, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

see where im going with this?

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
technically it doesnt matter if you have it done at 2 places, but as Deeze said, watch out for dumb people

1 - 9 of 9 Posts