S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a bigger dirtbike since i got rid of my last one, a 2003 CRF150F. I told myself that the next one is going to have at least 25 HP and be street legal.

Then i found the steal of the century. My little bro's girlfriend's day had this 93 650 sitting in his building that hasn't ran in 6 years or so. He said the ignition module went out on it or something and he just parked it. I figured if I got it on the cheap I could have a really big powerful bike for next to nothing after rebuilding it, getting it inspected, tagged, insured, and then going to get my bike endorsement.

It's always convenient having your little bro teach motorcycle mechanics at the community college too. Free labor!

pics in a few as I don't have too many pics of the teardown of the motor since all that shit is already completed.

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When we picked up the bike it hadn't been legal since 2005, the turn signals had been removed, and it had some super worn out dirt tires on it. The wiring was all over the place, and the transmission was hard to get into neutral. But the bike was together.

I got it for $700 and he dug out the old turn signals from the garage. I then went home and started shopping. New gasket kit for the motor, new HD clutch kit, oil, plug, filter, & battery.

My little bro had the kids at the college put the new gasket kit on the motor, didn't even need to rebuild the carb, they cleaned it up too.

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After i cleaned the sludge out of the gas tank, it fired right up but ran kind of shitty. So i ordered a new CDI ignition box, damn thing cost right at $150 shipped and still hasn't gotten here.

The old CDI would run, but you have to put pressure on it in certain places or the bike will sputter and cut off. It's a pretty common thing on these bikes to go out around 20k miles. This bike has 21K and some change.

Got all the signals installed and wired up properly, so i've been cruising it around town a little. I've put 25 miles on it so far and it's cut off on me a few times. When it's running though it pulls hard as hell.

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got these offroad tires for free that are on the bike, they were ran in a couple of MX races and those sponsored guys get new tires every so often anyways.

they roar like a motherf*cker on the interstate and aren't DOT legal so i'm ordering 2 new tires, tubes, and an air filter tonight.

I finally got the title in my name and notarized too so i can get it inspected and tagged as soon as i get the tires on.

don't worry though, the damn thing is getting a new paint scheme, i'm peeling the old graphics off the tank, and recovering the seat in grey vinyl also.

·
just got laid
921 Posts
for having sat for so long, this thing didn't need much to get running again

and you've already put more miles on it than the 86

i just need to get something to ride in the dirt too and we'll be set

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah it actually was funny how the bike was previously used.

the guy had a hitch on the rear of this thing and pulled a tiny trailer with a KX250. he would take both bikes to some mx or trail races, race them both, then pull the 250 home with the 650L.

i'm gonna see if he can find the hitch, that would be wild lookin

·
REMOTIVATED
479 Posts
those bikes are a ton of fun. my cousin had one when I was about 15. tons of power, I rode it more so in trails we made by the house and the few backroads around the house. they are heavy for trails but deffinately capable. his wheeled like crazy when I got on the throttle but I was about 125lbs also.it looks clean for sitting for a while. it has a kick start yeah? his did and it was a b**** to start for me.

·
REMOTIVATED
479 Posts
his had both but his battery was always dead. deffinately wasn't fun for me to start especially when it was cold.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think you paid a little too much for a non-running bike (this one). But if you've got free quality labor then you offset that by a good margin. Nice find, those bikes thump.

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
yeah, i did give the guy a couple hundred $ more than what it's really worth. But that $ went to a guy that deserved it, and known him for a while. He was in the air force for over 10 years and i don't haggle with service members, he even had this bike on base with him, the stickers are still on the forks.

and the condition of the bike is about as perfect as it's gonna get for an 18 year old bike with only 21k miles and just minor problems to fix. The motor didn't really need a new gasket kit, but since it had sat for 6 years and my little bro needed another project to teach the kids at the college i said why not. same thing with the clutch. didn't need it, but why not do it anyways.

in the end i'll have a bike that's basically new for less than i could have bought a running used one that needed work.

·
PAGING DR. ******!
7,371 Posts
That's awesome man, go rip some wheelies! Haha that's some cheap ass insurance, I wish I was paying $110 a year...instead it's $1500 a year for full coverage because it's a 600RR and I'm still rocking a permit. I'm gettin a damn cruiser, f this sport bike noise.

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
aint that the truth.

my dad has a VTX1800 retro and it rides really smooth. it's got plenty of torque too, he rarely has to get out of 5th gear on any hill. i love that retro fat boy styling too. his insurance with collision is like $35/month. my little bro has an f41 and his is like $70/month. big difference

1 - 20 of 38 Posts