S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

im new to this stuff and im wondering exctly what a shift kit does. i think it kinda makes a auto. to a manual shift rite? i would love a shift kit but is there any way to switch it back to manual really quick b/c i do alot of towing and its a bitch to tow with stick shift, auto is alot better and easier.

thanks
scott

·
8i6yiu
26 Posts
A shift kit boost the pressure in the lines which reduces the slippage of the clutch; and cause a harder, quicker, and more accurate shift. Which is excellant for raceing. As far as towing it would also help you because it will save the life of the clutch by not letting it burn out. It has nothing to do with making a automatic into a standard. The only way that is possible is by changeing the entire valve body.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok

ok, i wasnt really sure what it was but that sounds pretty cool. around how much do they cost and how hard is it to install?

thanks again,
scott

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm afraid a shiftkit is something that has to be done professionally, if I am correct.
The price depends on the type of transmission, a local tranny shop should be able to do this for you.

This is just off the top of my head, I easily could be wrong, I have a manual, so I haven't looked.
-TheComputerGuy23

·
Registered
407 Posts
i'm just unclear what this means...

Holds 1st-2nd-3rd at any RPM. Backshifts at your command. Fixes engagement/delay bang. Reduces the chance of 3-4 clutch failure.

holds 1st 2nd 3rd and backshifts on command, does this mean it's auto but can be override by a push of a button or something? that would be cool. I'm looking to put a transgo shiftkit in myself as well. But not 100% certain on what all it does besides shift quicker.

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
different shift kits do different things to the valve body of the tranny and line pressure. the shift kit AzZKikR is talking about will allow u to keep the truck in any gear to any rpm u wish. most stock vehicles wont let u downshift to lets say 1st gear at highways speeds cause it could result in a dangerous amount of rpm's. u can get certain shift kits that will basically turn your truck into a manual where u have to shift the truck yourself whether downshifting or upshifting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
B&M transmission shift imrover kit is about 35 bucks. i put mine in in a couple of hours. it involves changing a few accumulator springs as well as drilling 2 or 3 hole in your valve body spacer plate. any do it yourselfer should be able to pul it off, the b& m intructions were very detailed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts