S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made my bed a floorless bed and I am welding sheet metal over the top of it, kinda like a permanant bed cover. I bought some 16guage sheet metal from the only metal suplier around here and had it delivered. When they dropped it off they told me that it was the best piece they had becuase it wasnt a common product they sold and that it ought to clean up ok. It has a good deal of surface rust (most of it comes off with sand paper or a wire brush), im not worried about it being weak metal because the rust isnt really going into the metal. It is also warped a little bit. I got it cut down and layed across the supports I welded onto the bed and there are a few places where it doesnt want to sit flat at all. I know if it isnt totally smooth I can use body filler to level it out, and I also know that when I weld it it is going to warp a little bit. My question is this... are the rust and slight warpage normal on sheet metal or should I try to find something else?

..........Will post pics in a lil while

·
I hate everyone
4,628 Posts
well I know they make a paint... and I can't remamber name of it right now... its 3 initials..... (GRRRRR) anyways if you put a coat of that on it.. you will never see that rust again.... ppk or something like that....

and i its like 22 guage or something like that and has been setting around for awhile then yeah it probably is a little warped

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
POR15, is the paint stuff.... but its 16guage... I just want to know if I should use it. will it be ok to use it?

·
I hate everyone
4,628 Posts
yeah sure then paint it whatever color you want.... I put that stuff on a statue that I helped make.. and that is some wicked strong stuff.... and the guage wont matter to using POR

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the guage wont matter for the POR15 (I have used the stuff before) I was just wondering about the warpage...

·
I hate everyone
4,628 Posts
futuresweets10 said:
I know the guage wont matter for the POR15 (I have used the stuff before) I was just wondering about the warpage...
I understand sorry...:phil: the statue I used it on was pretty thick... (I beam) to be exact.... but I dont' see why it would hurt and as for warpage... your gonna get that anyways when you start tacing it down... so just be ready to do alot of body work... oh and if it were me... I would do it in sections and fix it with bondo... (does that make sence?? cuz that big ass peice is gonna be difficult to manuver.....

·
I hate everyone
4,628 Posts
yeah that stuff is in bad shape I would most def do it in sections and make sure I put the POR down.......

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have the piece already cut and its not that hard to move and get to work right. The 20in of the bed (by the tail gate) will be done differently, so the piece of metal is 20in shorter then the bed

·
I hate everyone
4,628 Posts
futuresweets10 said:
hey darkness, get on aim
I wish I could brother... I'm at work.. (military) I'd get in alot of trouble for that thing... if you want to take it to email so we arent blowing up this tread you can.... [email protected] and there is an underscore between the names..... it doesn't show when it gets underlined

or just PM me

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like watching my post count go up, so I will keep it in here, lol. in your opinon should I try to find a new piece of metal or will this one work as good as any, I dont care how much work I have to do to make this piece work, I just want to know if it is a bad idea

·
I hate everyone
4,628 Posts
with the POR you shouldn't have any problems... surface rust or not.. that POR will take care of it... I wouldn't worry about rust... but when you go to weld it... the welds are gonna be really dirty... and thats never good.... but not something to nesissarly stop you from using it... Pics don't look horrible at all.. but then again its just a pic.... is all up to the amount of work your willing to put into it... cuz welding is gonna take longer cuz of the rust... and the POR will need the standard 12 to 15 hours to dry.... one of the reasons I say do it in strips... sections

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, the rust grinds off easily enough, so the welding is going to be easy. I think I will go ahead and use it. thanks for the help

·
I hate everyone
4,628 Posts
np, by the way the truck is looking good...keep it coming!!! :thumbup:

one of the top 15

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wait till you see what I am doing with this project. Me and a friend came up with it. Never seen it before....

·
I hate everyone
4,628 Posts
cool well keep us as posted as you can!!! I plan on doing something like what you got going on... but not nearly as extreme...

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New question... on that piece of sheet metal, I have tacks spaced about 1/4 to 1/2in apart, then I have 3/4in metal tubeing under it spaced about a foot apart and the metal is tacked undernath to the tube every few inches. Then I drilled a few holes above each tube through the metal and did plug welds. should that be enough? or do I need to weld more

1 - 19 of 19 Posts