S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just recently purchased 1994? 3.4 v6 engine from a forum member.
When i started disassembly To swap my 2.8 s10 2.8 parts to it , i discovered the harmonic balancer was damaged. I removed the balancer and discovered the woodruff key on crankshaft was sheared off . Any solutions beside jb weld gratefully received.
P.S. BUYER BEWARE, NOT EVERY MEMBER LOOKING OUT FOR FELLOW MEMBERS !
20190731_142414.jpg
20190731_142338.jpg
20190731_142414.jpg 20190731_142338.jpg

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
JB Weld for what? Is the channel in the crankshaft damaged?

The key is available. Pioneer 839010 is one widely available aftermarket source/part #. There may be other sources for it as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The keyway itself seems to have damage, and it seems as you can see in photo someone tried filling it in and put back harmonic balancer. I've been reading that this is a common go to fix, but heck thats WRONG.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,436 Posts
Get a new key. Remove the timing chain and crank sprocket. replace key. Reassemble.

·
Administrator
21,270 Posts
The keyway itself seems to have damage, and it seems as you can see in photo someone tried filling it in and put back harmonic balancer. I've been reading that this is a common go to fix, but heck thats WRONG.
Well....we couldn't see in the pics because you chose to use thumbnails instead of full size pics. I used to think people were just lazy using thumbnails before the platform change....now I'm not sure. I've fixed the pics. Use the Full Size button when you post pics....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to try that, but if you can enlarge photos you'll see that keyway seems enlarged, which might leave open gaps on left and right of keyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well....we couldn't see in the pics because you chose to use thumbnails instead of full size pics. I used to think people were just lazy using thumbnails before the platform change....now I'm not sure. I've fixed the pics. Use the Full Size button when you post pics....
My apologies, first time posting anything.

·
Boozebag
9,001 Posts
My apologies, first time posting anything.
Remove the timing chain assembly.
Use a sharp punch/hammer at the very front of the key to dislodge it.
Make sure it falls into the oil pan opening... DON"T!!!
it will not be easy to find the correct woodruff key unless you go to a upull yard and remove a balancer.
I'm pretty sure you'll need a replacement balancer anyway.
Obviously - re-assemble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advise Mad Max, exactly what I'm going to attempt. Oh by the way im a huge fan of your write ups, they are truly inspiring. Im a big 3.4 fan also, did an 87 s10 with one and wow what a fun little truck that was, sold it to build another. Thanks again keep u posted on progress.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How big do you need the pics to be? If I click on it, it expands. If I right click and "view image in new tab", it opens a 1932x2576 high resolution image.

And it was possible to get those full sized images by clicking on the thumbnail before you "fixed" it. I know that because I looked at the full sized images a few days ago, when he first posted them, before my first reply.

·
Administrator
21,270 Posts
Take another look at them. I put them back the way they were, along with the full size pics. The whole point of choosing the Full Size option is so that you don't have to jump thru a bunch of clicks to get something bigger than a postage stamp. I guess the saying is true...You can lead a donkey to water...but he's still a donkey.

The site makes a positive change because of user complaints by allowing direct links from your devices...then nobody uses it.

·
Been there Done it
6,664 Posts
Come on guys. We've been arguing amongst ourselves about the size of the pics for a year. Enough. OK?:cry:
People will post what they post. If you can't see them, don't reply.

·
Administrator
21,270 Posts
Come on guys. We've been arguing amongst ourselves about the size of the pics for a year. Enough. OK?:cry:
People will post what they post. If you can't see them, don't reply.
You're missing the point. People have been complaining as long as I can remember about not being able to post pics directly to the site. Now that they have that ability, they still post thumbnails when the Fulll Size button is right next to the Thumbnail. I'll continue to fix the pics and juvenile language.

·
Been there Done it
6,664 Posts
I don't touch those buttons and get full size. If I click on one of them I get duplicate pictures in the post. Had to delete a bunch of those first few times I tried it.
I just dragged this one in, then went down and hit full size and thumbnail. As you can see each time I hit one of those buttons it added another pic.

Hijabi.jpg
Hijabi.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts