S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that I could shave the emblems off my 96' by running fishing line through the emblem glue, get the rest off the glue off with goof off and a plastic putty scraper, then just rub out the rest off the glue with some rubbing compound, is this true? Someone help me, I really dont wanna mess up the paint!

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
I just heated mine up with a hair dryer. All of the things u said would work except the plastic putty scraper. Seems like that would scratch the paint.

·
Drop N Destroy
4,712 Posts
you can heat it up or take fishing line to it i removed all my trim and emblems off mine like that it looks good

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
if its a plastic putty scraper i dont think it will scratch the paint but id just use fishing line and a hair dryer

·
Ol' Skool Member
395 Posts
I used a heat gun and a putty scraper to get the rubber off.. then i used bumper sticker remover and heat to get the gray glue off.. then i used heat and rubbing to get the Clear glue off

·
Registered
455 Posts
The emblem itself is easy enough to remove-it can usually be popped off by hand, or with a little heat. The remaining glue/tape residue is the pain in the @ss part, but there is one VERY easy way to do it, that will NEVER damage the paint. Go to your local auto paint supply store-3M makes a "stripe removal wheel", costs about $13.00. Buy it, it goes in a die grinder or electric drill. It spins at LOW rpm over top of the glue/tape sh*t, removing it quickly with no way to damage the paint. It is made out of an eraser like material. Wipe the dust off of the car, wax the car to even it out-done. Sitting there for hours with goo gone or similar stuff sucks-this is the only way to do it-its what it is made for! Works great for pinstripes too!

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
Meh? I used a blowdrier and my fingers to get the black molding and emblems off. I ended up 3 hrs later with 10 blisters on 10 different fingers....but it was all worth it. I still have a bit of discoloring from water sitting behind the molding...but im painting my bish soon anyway. :welder:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts