S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 84 s10, and this is the first time posting some pics of my stuff. i started shaving my doors today. i got the solinoid mounted. the lock lever tied out of the way and the wire ran from the latch to the solinoid. but i noticed that my wire is really close to the window track and sometimes rubs i even spaced the bottom of the soilinoid out to move it away. has anyone else run into this problem?

#2 project is my 327 bored 60 over v8 swap into the same truck.
specs on it. 327 bored 60 over 4 bolt mains
isky 468 lift cam
edelbrock true double roller timing chain
edelbrock air gap manifold
vortec heads
stock pistons and rods
th 350 tranny
polished crank
chrome moly rings
arp bolts
aluminum corvette radiator
sanderson headers

bling factor
chrome proform chevrolet center bolt valve covers
chrome chevy breather and oil cap
chrome timing cover
chrome thermastat housing
chrome engine and tranny dipstick
stainless steel bolts
chrome chevy air cleaner w/ bowtie nut

thats all i can think of right now. im still puting the engine together, but have been distracted with my shave door kit. ill try to get some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
got bored so i got some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh and on my auto loc shave door kit i got it only came with enough 10 guage wire to run to the end of teh door. did u guys extend it or how did u mount your relays?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
looks like a nice project!!! keep the updates coming

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah its been looking like a nice one for a while. just havnt been up to working on it till my friend got his blazer shaved so i figured i had to get back in the game.

Questions:
1) my auto loc shave door kit i got it only came with enough 10 guage wire to run to the end of teh door. did u guys extend it or how did u mount your relays?

2) i noticed that my release cable is really close to the window track and sometimes rubs i even spaced the bottom of the soilinoid out to move it away. has anyone else run into this problem?

·
The Schnauzberrys
2,399 Posts
I have no idea why you put the solenoid there but i put mine at an angle right near that plastic panel in this pic

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i couldnt get it to fit without rubbing anywhere. im going to put a teflon sleve over it so it doesnt wear it self out. u mean u mounted your on the inner door panel part? i tried but couldnt get it to work. i cant go much lower either. im about half an inch from teh botom of the tack and coulnt go lower because of the curve of the door. i want to try your idea again since i hate seeing those gay bolts sticking out in the jam. your way would be much cleaner.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
new pics of the engine with first coat of chevy orange.

Attachments

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
looks like a good project...:) cant wait to see more pics...:) r u gonna leave the body kit???

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no way i hate that thing. i rub on every speed bump and teh other side has been ripped completely off. if anyone wants it they can have it for 15 dollars or 45 with the roll pan. it needs fiberglass work though on some of the corners. i think im goin gto have some ground clearance issues with me being 2.75 inches off the ground with the 2.8 and i heard u drop almost an inch with a v8. i might have to take the lowering control arms on. or just bag it:). im going ot finish up teh engien tomarrow hopefully then remount my popers so the bolts dont show cause i cant stand it.

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
Nice project youve got going there. It will look way better once the body kit is gone.

Before you mount your door solenoids permanently do yourself a HUGE favor and make some kind of shield/cover to keep the water out of it. I have mine mounted in the exact same place on my 92 and everytime it rains the solenoids fill with water and now they are all rusted up and never work. Replacing my 50lb solenoids at $100 each is a little ridiculous.

Do you plan on keep those wheels on it?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i want to remount my solinoids so the bolts are hidden by the door panel. i think the wheels are alright. when i bag it ill get some eagle 221 20's. here is the story about how i got my truck, just so u know this is basicly how it looked when i got it.

back in 1988 my dad bought this truck for my older brother from the owner of trail master suspensions. it was lowered same kit as on it now. had a molded on front bumper side skirts and roll pan. red paint, not the same color as it is now. it has limited edition enkei wheels 15 inch haha. but right off my brother wrecked the truck and didnt want it so it ended up being my dads truck. and to shorten things up it has been wrecked 7 times between both my borthers, my sister, and my dad. back when 9/11 happened my best friends dad who teaches custom painting classes for ppg, wasnt able to fly around and they were making him clean the shop so he wanted to know if i wanted my truck painted since it was different colors.of course i said sure and we took a week and painted it the red it is now.then i got it 2 years ago when i turned 15 and wrecked it almost a year ago. so it got me motivated to actually fix this baby up.

thats basicly the whole story. ill try to find the trailmaster catolog my truck was in.

update: i broke 1 bolt that held the cam gear to teh cam. it was only sapose to be torqued to 15 ft lbs but my torque wrench only went down to 25 so i did 25. well it never got tight enough to click so i figured something was wrong. well when i pulled the bolt out it was stretched way out in the middle. so today i went to a local chevy dealer to get 3 of them. they sent me to meclendons(hardwarestore) becuase they are just standerd hardware bolts, but the only bolts that were close were the some grade 8 bolts but they didnt have teh washer on them like the stock ones.

anyone know if they will work?
they are grade 8 compared to teh stock grade 5. they wont have the lip on the head like the stock ones do.

Attachments

·
PPG sprayin' member
3,746 Posts
Our local AutoZone carry the right bolts, I would deffinatly get the correct ones. You can't get skimpy when building engines. Also please invest in an inch/lb/newton meter tourqe wrench. Never go that much over notes torque specs.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i went to autp zone but they didnt carry any like the stock ones, only ones like the ones i got at mclendons. so i decided to use them and threadlock them on. i actually did the 15 ft lbs to with one of those beam torque wrenches.

UPDATE: got the timing gear fixed. oil pan is on for good now with the gasket and rtv. got my chrome timing cover on. need to finish sanding my heads and paint them today, and paint my harmonic balancer silver. hopefully the chrome takes away some of the orange color cause im not sure if i like it. its to orange. maybe a chrome oilpan will do the trick. but ill get it together before i do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah. im still trying to sand my heads down. the guy i bought them brom painted them with por 15 and its a bitch to get off. and i cant work on it today cause ive got a friends car im puting a turbo into sitting in the drivway. he got the last parts today so we are going to finish it, so i can get it out of here. its a 92 toyota celica with a 3sgt motor 2.2. 180000 miles. kind of a lot but he wanted to go through with it. he wants to do a 3sgte swap in a month or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well got my friends celica done and out of the garage. sanded half of the last head then ran out of cookies to finish so ill try to finish tomarrow. i also had my welding class today. it was pretty fun but we did oxy asetaline for today. but we start mig tomarrow for a couple months then we move to tig for a month or so. hopefully ill get good enough to work on my truck without messing it up.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well teh heads are primed and ill pant them tomarrow. i took the body kit of and found some nasty dents under it that my dad doesnt remember. the lower part of the fender to the rear of the rear tire is folded under like someone triend to run over something. i dont know how im goin got get it out. ill get some pics of the heads and the damage tomarrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mount on the closest open hole in the inside door skin. the wire is very short but once you get it set it work awesome and no wear probelms at all. good luck man, take your time, get it right

1 - 20 of 153 Posts