S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 S-10 Blazer LT - 4.3 V6
------------------------------------

I bought the car used a couple of years ago and I have been slowly upgrading alot of the parts myself. I've now moved to replacing the brakes...

1. What brand/part # of replacement pads do you guys recommend?

2. I also wanted to change the brake fluid after the pad change. I bought the S-10 Chilton book. It says in BIG BOLD print, "Do not replace the brake fluid on ABS equipped cars unless you have a SCAN tool". Now, is this just overly warning work by Chilton or is this a serious warning? Whats the big deal? I replace the brake fluid on my Porsche and it has ABS. Not problems. What's so special about the Blazer?

3. If a SCAN tool is necessary, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

-BT

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've used NAPA or Raybestos (they are the same) ceramic pads on the front. Better stopping and no brake dust. I don't know why a scan tool is needed. I used Valvoline DOT 3/4 brake fluid on my '98 S10 without a scan tool

·
Registered
9 Posts
you dont need to change brake fluid unless it gets water in it, brake fluid is good forever!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You need to use a scan tool because air can get trapped in the ABS valves that will not be noticeable with normal bleeding. Brake fluid doesn't need changed, though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to change the brake fluid because:

a) its dirty and doesn't look very good
b) it has over 55,000 miles on it

You guys disagree? Whats the big deal on changing it? I run my Porsche hard at the track, change it and I feel better about its ability to perform. Why would it be any different on the Blazer?

Thanks for the other responses. I'm going to try and get the Rayspestos Quiet Stop pads this week.

K

·
0 Posts
I feel differently about the brake fluid b/c iti s not a porsche and the fluid does not heat up a whole...lot...I wouldn't bother with it unless you are having problem...and always stick with stock GM brake pads and/or shoes, or you will get squeaks especially with the front pads

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
haha...I learned that the hard way Kenny...bought some cheapy pads to throw on the front...they have about 10k miles on them now and they are still squeaking!! hehehe...******* things...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had the Quiet Stop pads on 2 vehicles now. They are the *hit! Almost no brake dust, and they stop good, too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts