S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an EGR go bad and cause an SES light to come on? I have a 98 2.2 w/ 79K miles on it and just recently it developed a rough idle. The plugs and wires are only 10K mile old and the fuel filter is 16K miles old. I was wondering what some of the symtoms of a bad EGR and/or O2 sensor might be? Could the EGR be dirty and if so, can it be cleaned?

thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think that '98 and up do not have a EGR valve, just a hose that attaches to the top of the valve cover from the intake. If anything I would replace the O2 sensor.
bigman1

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have EGR Valves, just not PCV valves. The EGR was operating within parameters (I pulled the codes and found a miss on the #1 cyl.) So, I ran a can of fuel system cleaner through it and it seems to have helped, prolly just dirt on the injector. Oh and there was a code for something like "fuel system/antitheft system or some S*&t (prolly caused by a loose gas cap)so I cleared them and went on my way - thanks for the response though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stupid question I know, but how do you pull the codes and where can I look them up to find out what a problem is? I'm having the same problem you're describing, rough idle and engine light coming on after about 5 minutes from start-up. Wasn't happening until I decided to tune my 1994 V-6 up.

·
Resident *******
11,267 Posts
if there is an auto zone near you take it there and they will do free diagnostic on it. they will pull the codes and tell you what they are.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, with a 1994 that should still be OBD 1, so you should be able to pull the codes with an adapter on the pins.....(they're about $25) count the flashes and then match it up to the codes in the Chiltons or other Service Manual. I'd check your vacuum lines. How old are the wires? Mine is running fine, after dumping some cleaner in the gas. But to answer your question, for the money, the Chilton's manual is fine, it has the codes for OBD1 and OBD2 and doesn't cost you $90.

Hope it helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts