S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Which seat can I take?
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 s10 xtreme 4.3L. i have 23k miles on it. i have had the oil changed every 3k miles and not problems. is it one of them gimmicks where it gets to a certain milage it does that and chevy has to flip a switch or something? or is it something else? oh and ive had the tranny fluid flushed and new fluid put in it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
TAKE YOUR GAS CAP OFF...AND PUT IT BACK ON....THATS WHAT I DID....

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
go to autozone and have them pull the codes. could be a plugged EGR, bad sensor somewhere....with all the wires and sensors, its hard to tell.

·
Registered
229 Posts
did you drive it for a little?...sometimes it takes a little bit for the computer to register...and reset..

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,749 Posts
Hmmmm 2002..23k...Take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty before you do something you'll regret:bash:

·
Got Beer?
1,599 Posts
Mine came on at about 24K and I went to autozone and it was a AIR malfunction. I was looking around under the hood and saw that the K&N was really clogged. I recharged it and put it some fuel injector cleaner in the tank and the code went away that same day while driving on the highway. Anyway, I would go to autozone and get the code checked before you go nuts and then if there is a problem go to the dealer and cash in on the warranty.

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
My light has come on for a minute twice in the past 3 weeks and the od thing is that it was on the same street.

·
Which seat can I take?
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
alright. went to autozone this morning and had the computer hooked up to it and this is what it said:

CODE: P0172
The PCM has determined that during testing, the fuel system, for bank 1 was to rich. (Bank 1 indentifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the oppsite bank)

so the guy told me to get some injector cleaner (LUCAS) to try that out and see if it works. if it doesnt, it might be a censor or something. so lastnight when it came on i was almost to E on gas. so before i went to autozone i put in 10 bucks for now. im gonna put in the cleaner and add more gas to it to fill it up to the top. hopefully this works.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i did...what problems would that create??

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
i was asking silent warrior but i have no MAF screen and i throw codes for 2 rich cylinders every once and awhile...infact tomorrow morning im gonna go try n get a new maf finally to have a screen

·
Which seat can I take?
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the engine is stock. i havent done anything to it.................yet. theres a k&n filter and thats it. the injector cleaner worked. so im all good now. it works.

·
Got Beer?
1,599 Posts
kjc9781 said:
Mine came on at about 24K and I went to autozone and it was a AIR malfunction. I was looking around under the hood and saw that the K&N was really clogged. I recharged it and put it some fuel injector cleaner in the tank and the code went away that same day while driving on the highway. Anyway, I would go to autozone and get the code checked before you go nuts and then if there is a problem go to the dealer and cash in on the warranty.
I hate to quote myself but I did the same exact thing. I would clean up that filter also if you haven't done it in a while. I know its supposed to get better the longer you go without cleaning it, but I wouldnt take the chance. Good luck man!

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
my truck has not even 12k mile son it and i have cleaned it out once before but not with a full cleaning kit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts