S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny,(reading the recent topics about blown head gaskets) i just blew a head gasket today! must be that time for this motor. First it threw the serpentine, all i heard was a clunk at the time so i just babied it home and found out later, about half way there the joyful cloud of bluish white smoke appeared behind me, popped the hood when i got back and everything was soaked in coolant, very nice.....drove it about 10 miles with no water pump and alternator. Kind of strange that a thrown belt leads to a head gasket? possibly more to this than meets the eye, seized pulley or the like....

·
Banned
8,856 Posts
when i worked at napa, the delivery truck had a pully out of alignment. that truck threw belts left and right. you knew it when it happened too, felt like the turbo kicked in and you got an extra 20 horse:haha:

·
get laid/commit suicide
3,219 Posts
this may be kinda late but are you sure you didn't overheat it because of the no water pump and warp the head? I don't know but throwing a belt and just happening to blow a head gasket for no reason sounds kinda unlikly. The head gasket probally blew beacuse the head was warped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
neel2008 said:
this may be kinda late but are you sure you didn't overheat it because of the no water pump and warp the head? I don't know but throwing a belt and just happening to blow a head gasket for no reason sounds kinda unlikly. The head gasket probally blew beacuse the head was warped.
Head gasket didnt actually blow, once i got it running i noticed no smoke coming from the tailpipe, and when i got it in the driveway i shut it off immediately so i couldnt tell where the smoke was coming from, it was just the water pump destroying itself from the inside because the serpentine was too tight. all is good now.

·
get laid/commit suicide
3,219 Posts
kool, good thing it didn't warp the head or something, that would ruin your day

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
neel2008 said:
kool, good thing it didn't warp the head or something, that would ruin your day
yup, but then id drive my dad's 78 cutlass instead and do a 4.3 or v8 swap on it.
but it runs good for now, got the girlfriend driving it again as it is hers and i got my 4.3 Jimmy back :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts