S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the 4.3 motor after having 2 other s-10's with 4 bangers.

When changing the serp belt in the 4.3 v-6 is there a counter balancer or tension adapter that you can put a wrench on & it allows removal of the belt quickly?

For some reason I thought I saw this done but can't recall

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
LiLs10Steve said:
I am new to the 4.3 motor after having 2 other s-10's with 4 bangers.

When changing the serp belt in the 4.3 v-6 is there a counter balancer or tension adapter that you can put a wrench on & it allows removal of the belt quickly?

For some reason I thought I saw this done but can't recall
What year do you have? I'm pretty sure all second gens have the automatic belt tensioner at the top. Here's a picture of it. Just place a long wrench on the bolt that I have circled, push it to the left while pulling the pulley to the right. The wrench will give you the leverage to pull up the tensioner and take the belt off. Hope that helps!

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
mat1583, What a clean alternator!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 1989 - l that cirlcled looks like mine except yours is clean :)

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Navecm said:
mat1583, What a clean alternator!
I wish I could say it's stock and that I've just kept it that clean...but it's really only about a year or two old :) but thanks anyway!

Oh, and the tensioner is new too. The bearings started going out and it was making a bunch of racket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah thanks for the info Matt

·
My self esteem is lower
1,117 Posts
Yeah I just replaced my alternator in the parking lot of Auto Zone today, and not by choice. My S10's battery died on me about a week ago bringing a friend home from work. I tried jumping it off several times, but it only died on me every time within a few minutes. So I had the battery replaced with a new one. Which was free thru wal-mart. So I knew it was the alter. going bad, cause the bAttery wasn't keeping a charge and the battery warning light stayed on from then on. So I went by Auto Zone today just to get a price on an alternator. I went to leave and wam, she was dead again. Which I knew I couldn't run on the new battery forever before the alternator drained it dry.. But I'm just thankful it happened at auto zone and not on the side of the road. So I bought the 160+ dollar alternator, i think they called it the gold somethin'. I could have gotten a cheaper one, but I'd rather buy new and not have to go through changing another alternator atleast for a year or two. Once is plenty! Taking the alternator out is pretty easy. Putting it back in is just as easy. But getting the serpentine belt back on the pulley is a different ball game. Especially by yourself, and especially if your like me and have never done one. It was a great learning experience. I mean im not a motor head or have any real experience working under the hood. So anything I can do myself is a great accomplishment. It felt great though cranking it up and driving it home knowing I did it without any help. All in all, it took me a little over two hours. But that's just because i had never done one before. Next time, I'll shoot for under an hour. yeah....im a dork . :)

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
get layed said:
Yeah I just replaced my alternator in the parking lot of Auto Zone today, and not by choice. My S10's battery died on me about a week ago bringing a friend home from work. I tried jumping it off several times, but it only died on me every time within a few minutes. So I had the battery replaced with a new one. Which was free thru wal-mart. So I knew it was the alter. going bad, cause the bAttery wasn't keeping a charge and the battery warning light stayed on from then on. So I went by Auto Zone today just to get a price on an alternator. I went to leave and wam, she was dead again. Which I knew I couldn't run on the new battery forever before the alternator drained it dry.. But I'm just thankful it happened at auto zone and not on the side of the road. So I bought the 160+ dollar alternator, i think they called it the gold somethin'. I could have gotten a cheaper one, but I'd rather buy new and not have to go through changing another alternator atleast for a year or two. Once is plenty! Taking the alternator out is pretty easy. Putting it back in is just as easy. But getting the serpentine belt back on the pulley is a different ball game. Especially by yourself, and especially if your like me and have never done one. It was a great learning experience. I mean im not a motor head or have any real experience working under the hood. So anything I can do myself is a great accomplishment. It felt great though cranking it up and driving it home knowing I did it without any help. All in all, it took me a little over two hours. But that's just because i had never done one before. Next time, I'll shoot for under an hour. yeah....im a dork . :)

Yeah, it is definitely a pain in the butt to actually get the belt back on there. I remember replacing my alternator. All in all, I've taken off and put on a new belt 3 times. @ of the times I had to get a friend to slip the belt under the pulley while I help it up. The last time somehow I was able to get it under there, but it hurt my hands like a mofo.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
what, hard to get the belt back on!? i replaced my alternator about 4 months ago and it was hard getting the belt back on cuz i replaced it at nite but I just used a really long flat screwdriver to help me slip the belt back on. then about a week later i replaced the serpentine belt too. I noticed a nice square hole on the belt tensioner and I thought to myself that a 1/2 rachet would fit in there perfectly so I stuck one in and used it as leverage to take the tension off the belt. after I figured that trick out it took me 5 mins MAX to have the old belt off and the new belt in and the engine running again.

changing the alternator (since it sits at the top of the engine and not underneath like my friend's old mercedes) and the belt together should definitely take less than one hour, if it doesn't, then quit drinking so much beer as you work on the truck or you're just slow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts