S-10 Forum banner

Separate 6x9's from 12" speakers in custom box?

3K views 57 replies 9 participants last post by  Livewire 
#1 ·
Hello, I am building a custom box incorporating 2 6x9's and 2 12" speakers. Should I separate the 6x9's internally within the box from the subs, or should they be OK together?

Thanks!

#7 ·
MuddyS10 said:
guess it gives you that "surround sound" kinda thing? i havent owned an xcab so i never experimented with that...maybe i will when i get a Blazer.
MUCH different in the Xcab. It sounds better inside and definitely outside. with the door speakers so low to the floor you don't get a whole lot of noise out of them, right now my second set is pointed towards the roof in the back, a lot of people compliment me on the highs...

I'm going to glass the rear panels and put the components in them eventually, pointed towards the rear windows so I get a nice ting off the glass.

#10 ·
Imperialc00 said:
DEFINITELY separate them.
Woohoo! More work. Ideally, how much room should I give the 6x9's? (Inside) However, as it is, it's pretty cramped inside so I might only be able to give them an 'immediate' area.

#11 ·
MuddyS10 said:
guess it gives you that "surround sound" kinda thing? i havent owned an xcab so i never experimented with that...maybe i will when i get a Blazer.
As it is I might just be disabling the door speakers. I won't disable the front windshield ones though.

#17 ·
SMNW2003 said:
:yikes: I guess you guys dont like imaging...
Does it have anything to do with being a metrosexual?

#20 · (Edited)
Ja, that is a good point, but I can't fit 2 12s in the dash! Unless I cut them into many small pieces and glue them to it. I wonder how it would sound... Besides, the windshield speakers have some highs to them. And there's always tiny piezo tweeters!

#21 ·
you dont need to put the 12's in the dash...bass is unidirectional sound and it doesnt matter where the source is if the sound is below 100hz. and odds are your 2 12s wont be playing above that frequence ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.