S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am building a custom box incorporating 2 6x9's and 2 12" speakers. Should I separate the 6x9's internally within the box from the subs, or should they be OK together?

Thanks!

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
why are you putting 6x9's behind you? ideally, you want to mids and highs coming from in front of you, and only bass from behind you.

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
why are you putting 6x9's behind you? ideally, you want to mids and highs coming from in front of you, and only bass from behind you.
I've got a set of components behind me and it sounds good, I used to have 6x9s behind me and it sounded good too. If he's got the room I give it a :thumbup:

·
12,507 Posts
guess it gives you that "surround sound" kinda thing? i havent owned an xcab so i never experimented with that...maybe i will when i get a Blazer.

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
MuddyS10 said:
guess it gives you that "surround sound" kinda thing? i havent owned an xcab so i never experimented with that...maybe i will when i get a Blazer.
MUCH different in the Xcab. It sounds better inside and definitely outside. with the door speakers so low to the floor you don't get a whole lot of noise out of them, right now my second set is pointed towards the roof in the back, a lot of people compliment me on the highs...

I'm going to glass the rear panels and put the components in them eventually, pointed towards the rear windows so I get a nice ting off the glass.

·
12,507 Posts
hm, i might just make it possible to add a set of 6.5" on my sub box, instead of putting the Infinitys in the door.

·
12,507 Posts
what size enclosure should the 6.5's go in, and should it be vented?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imperialc00 said:
DEFINITELY separate them.
Woohoo! More work. Ideally, how much room should I give the 6x9's? (Inside) However, as it is, it's pretty cramped inside so I might only be able to give them an 'immediate' area.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MuddyS10 said:
As it is I might just be disabling the door speakers. I won't disable the front windshield ones though.

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
wolfmangk said:
Woohoo! More work. Ideally, how much room should I give the 6x9's? (Inside) However, as it is, it's pretty cramped inside so I might only be able to give them an 'immediate' area.
I ran mine open box and they sounded cool, Just needed a secure place to mount them. Ideally it'd be like .2 cu ft maybe?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SMNW2003 said:
:yikes: I guess you guys dont like imaging...
Does it have anything to do with being a metrosexual?

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
SMNW2003 said:
when your at a concert, the sound comes from in front of you not from behind.
I know what your thinking, it adds more sound and makes my car louder and I need more highs, I was the same way a few years ago.
Music is supposed to come from the front!
I like it loud inside and outside the truck though.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ja, that is a good point, but I can't fit 2 12s in the dash! Unless I cut them into many small pieces and glue them to it. I wonder how it would sound... Besides, the windshield speakers have some highs to them. And there's always tiny piezo tweeters!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts