S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I Just picked up a 1983 S10 Durango 4x4 with the 2.8 as a snow beater. I've been trying to fix it up and getting it running well, and my temperature gauge does not work.

I'm fairly certain that the green 1 wire that goes to the front of the head on the left bank is the sensor, but when I look up the sensor on NAPA or online, its very different from whats in the vehicle currently. If that's not it, then I have no clue what that sender is. lol

I searched on here and it seems like a common issue. One post recommended grounding out the sensor, and said it would spike it to hot, indicating the wire is functional and the sensor is not. So I took a jumper wire and pushed it into that connector, and then grounded it to one of the bolts that holds the radiator shroud in place. The gauge did not move when I put the ignition in the ON position.

Perhaps this is a faulty wire issue, or perhaps I've got the wrong sensor altogether. Any advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should state that the sensor appears to look similar to this:

What I keep seeing is either this:

or

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My conclusion:

I called down to my Chevy dealer and got the part numbers for the 2 sensors that we have on this vehicle for this year and motor. 1 is a 10045847, and I believe that is the replacement version for the one by the thermostat. The one with the single green wire comes back as 25036373, and when I do the interchange on NAPA prolink, it comes back as a single pin, like the black one in the picture above. So I'm guessing that the wire will slide over that pin, or maybe it needs to have a new pin head put on the wire, I don't know.

I'm gonna test the wire tonight with a multi meter and make sure its actually supplying power. If so, then I'll replace the sensor with the 1 pin style like the black one above and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
1 Participant
CWP_MS3
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing