S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.5 87 s10 just blew a head gasket and burnt a couple valves because it overheated. All it has is the idiot lights and come to find out, the temp light obviously doesn't work. So I bought a set of gauges. Will it mess with the computer if I get rid of the OEM oil and temp sensors to hook up the new ones. If so how else can I do it. I figured it'll be easier to hook everything up when the engines apart.

·
Registered
733 Posts
your fine, the one for u coolant gauge goes in the back of the head, pull the idiot light sensor out put the new one from the gauge in, as for the oil pressure gauge you will be fine there, but i might suggest throwing out the plastic line the gauge kit comes with, breaks way way to easy, when i put a mech oil pressure gauge in my mustang i just used 5/16 metal hardline, its stronger then that plastic crap

·
Registered
34 Posts
kiddlear said:
My 2.5 87 s10 just blew a head gasket and burnt a couple valves because it overheated. All it has is the idiot lights and come to find out, the temp light obviously doesn't work. So I bought a set of gauges. Will it mess with the computer if I get rid of the OEM oil and temp sensors to hook up the new ones. If so how else can I do it. I figured it'll be easier to hook everything up when the engines apart.
I think my truck is doing the same thing. My head gasket is broke, not blown & I got a burnt exhaust valve in #2 that I know of. Let me know how your a going to do your gauges & where on the engine does your oil line go. If you can provide a pic for the gauge clust, it would be great.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, if you want to do away with the stock temp gage sensor just replace it with the new mechanical on the back of the head by the firewall. If not then there is a plug on the right side about half way down the block towards the flywheel, that's a water passage.
As far as the oil, I went to ACE Hardware and bought a 1/4NPT "T" and plugged both my new mechanical tube and the stock sending unit in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts