S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Big Dreamer w/low Budget
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin for a engine to replace my blown 2.8 haven't pulled it yet but its locked tight.

·
Pushrod for life!
3,480 Posts
drop in a 3.1 or 3.4

·
Big Dreamer w/low Budget
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to fix it to resell. How much would one of thoses cost?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Make sure it's seized, the last "seized one" I bought for $500, turned out ot be a seized altn.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i just bought a brand new 2.8 long block for $1300, if you are looking to rebuilt you may need a new block if you overheated and one of your pistons melted into the cylinder wall. I got an old block if you want to rebuild it.

·
musical engine builder
2,024 Posts
buy a used motor for a junk yard. $500 and some swap time and your done.

·
Big Dreamer w/low Budget
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1988S10 said:
buy a used motor for a junk yard. $500 and some swap time and your done.

Thats kinda what i was thinking. we'll see this weekend or next.

·
Registered
67 Posts
foxracer1 said:
I'm lookin for a engine to replace my blown 2.8 haven't pulled it yet but its locked tight.
Remove all spark plugs. Spray WD-40 / PB Blaster into the cylinders. Put some Tranny fluid into a empty 409 spray bottle and give each cylinder two or three shots.

Select that Big ugly screw driver that you have been hammerin' and pryin' with from your tool box. Pry on the ring gear and block boss. (back and forth with small movements). If this method works for you and you are able to rotate the engine, place some paper towels at the plug opening to catch the 'additives'. Crank it over using the starter. Check the oil level and if it fires up, make sure you have oil pressure.

If your plans are to sale, an engine that is not 'locked tight' will be in your favor.
I purchased a 2.8 V-6 in the back of a pickup that was infact seized up. The plugs had been removed and surface rust was the only problem.

That's the name of that tune !

·
Big Dreamer w/low Budget
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my uncle had been driving it for awhile then it just locked up on him. Hes 75 yrs old so i doubt he was trashin on it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i just sold my 2.8 for 75 dollars. it ran when i took it out to. it was for sell in the classifieds for a while, i got rid of it for a v8 :)

·
Big Dreamer w/low Budget
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
196 Posts
If one were to drop in a 3.1 or a 3.4.................is it better to rebuild a 2.8 into a 3.4 or just buy a crate motor................and if crate motor(which I think is cheaper..........can you still get a warrenty or not...........because i know they always ask you what you are putting it into....and s10s never came with 3.4 stock.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,551 Posts
fumplet said:
If one were to drop in a 3.1 or a 3.4.................is it better to rebuild a 2.8 into a 3.4 or just buy a crate motor................and if crate motor(which I think is cheaper..........can you still get a warrenty or not...........because i know they always ask you what you are putting it into....and s10s never came with 3.4 stock.
The 3.4 is designed for 82-85 GM S-trucks specifically by GM and the will warrant it as long as it goes in a 82-85..:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
so If I were to eventually replace my 2.8 with a 3.4.............I would then have no warrenty..........my truck was a 1986..........but I rebuilt the truck.........1982 frame, 1993 cab, 1982 bed................so I would guess since it will be titled 2005 rebuilt truck.......then there sure aint gonna be any warrenty

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,551 Posts
Yep! You could lie I suppose about what it's going in. If the truck is fuel injected they won't for sure because they say that it's not approved for 86+'s. It's really hogwash since the 3.4 doesn't come with a provision for a mechanical fuel pump which is what is required on the 82-85's. Supposedly it will run lean on the 2.8 injectors which everybody else says you can work around by changing the injectors or converting over to 4.3 injectors. I'd do it anyway, but that's me. If you do it right you shouldn't have a problem and since you rebuilt your truck from the ground up I'd say you have that ability!:)

·
Big Dreamer w/low Budget
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ezrollin said:
Make sure it's seized, the last "seized one" I bought for $500, turned out ot be a seized altn.
I didn't ever think the alternator would stop the engine but the same thing happend to this one. I drove it all weekend and it seems to be fine after i installed the new alt. Thanks guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts