S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well see the subject.... For reasons I won't disclose right now (because they're too damn embarassing :bah: ) We had to remove the lower intake and drivers side head.... This also involved removing the distributor.... Everything was in good shape including the dist... Well when putting it back together, usually you have to only move it to cyl 1 TDC and drop it in...Pretty hard to mess up huh? Wrong!!!! Seems you can be up to 2 teeth off on that damn thing!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Just a note to anyone who has to do work on a 95 and up motor....My dealer mech said he usually has to drop it in 2 or 3 times to get it done right....Live an learn... Another entry for the notebook.... :monkeypee

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
ok, what did you drop down in there ?

when i pull a dis for such a thing. i disconnect the battery, so no one can unknowingly to me, crank it over. then i put alignment marks. simply align those marks on install = never a problem.

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jess said:
ok, what did you drop down in there ?

when i pull a dis for such a thing. i disconnect the battery, so no one can unknowingly to me, crank it over. then i put alignment marks. simply align those marks on install = never a problem.
LOL... Unfortunatly we had to turn the crank when the head was off and we forgot to mark it (even though we marked the dist.,...) Feel like a dumb as... Here's what happen... I got the new truck and I was changing the CPI, and I figured I would change the dist cap while I was at it... Dumbass me dropped a screw down into the #5 cylinder.... Only way we could get it out was to pull the head...:( Which meant pulling the dist...:cuss: :twiggss: :phil:

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Oh the HUMANITY!!

I would be so pissed!!

·
bitch
7,884 Posts
wow, that sucks. at least you aren't stupid like some people and hope it starts up and the screw will work its way out.

·
LIL RED ROCKET
602 Posts
:twak: :troutslap

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
i bet if you had never known that screw fell down there. you would never know that screw feel down there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did that once and I pulled all 6 sparkplugs so the engine could turn over fast on the starter. I put the gas peddle to the floor to get as much air in the cylinders as possible and cranked it over and the screw blew out the spark plug hole. It was Miller time.

Norman52:clap:

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wireman: I'm still beating myself up over it :D

Jess: Yeah, I started it, sounded like a rabid wolverine...fortunatly no real damage...

Norman: I wish I had realized fell down there...I would have done something similar...:/

All in all it was a pain in the ass....:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Instead of pulling the head, couldn't you have just pulled the plug on #5, and stuck one of those telescoping magnets-on-a-stick things down in there to get it out? Seems like to easy of a solution, so I must be missing something....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't feel bad...it happens to everyone at some point...

Was putting the motor back together for my 1962 MG SCCA road racing car the night before a race, and while timing the cam, was turning the motor with the distributor drive shaft (Goes into the side of the block, into a slot into the other side of the block on the inside and engages a gear on the cam)...and heard a CLUNK!....dropped the damn thing in the oil pan...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts