S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm actually on here to try and diagnose an issue with my friends Blazer. It's a 2001 2wd 2dr Blazer with the 4.3. For some reason, he can't seem to keep it running!

I just installed a new fuel pump and filter along with a new MAFS not 6 months ago and it died as if it ran out of fuel again. I got it to idle for a little while with some starting fluid but then nothing. He got it to a shop and they said there was no fuel pressure (which I thought was odd cause I can hear the pump running and know there was at least some pressure at the rail as it squirted some with a flathead) and they wanted to drop the tank to see if the issue lied in there. They also wanted $500 just to drop it...

I don't believe the issue lies within the tank. Pump is running, fuel filter's clean and I got pressure at the rail. I don't know how much since I don't have a gauge though :( Hoping someone can throw me a bone here and try to figure this thing out. It JUST rolled 100K and I know there's a lot of life left in it, just want it back. Giving him ride everywhere kinda sucks! Thanks!

AJ

·
Registered
428 Posts
autozone has a loan-a-tool program -get yourself a pressure gauge and measure the pressure. if too low you got a either a bad pump, bad check valve, or failing fpr.

good luck

ps. many other autoparts stores have a rental/loan tool programs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.. So I'm more used to working on things that were easy to work on, like a 1978 Bronco! lol! Never thought of the check valve nor renting a tool so to that I kudos you! If you could give me the low down on what the FPR is (I assume fuel pressure regulator?) I'd be much appreciative.

P.S. Where is the check valve? Thanks a lot

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
FPR is inside the intake manifold, it's the circular looking thing with a tip on it pointing down i think.

check valve is on the fuel lines on the driver side of the engine bay. should have a little cap on it you can unscrew.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I dont think Autozone rents Fuel Pressure Guages.

Its called a Schrader valve.

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
autozone does, they did for me twice. its expensive and if you're not cool with the workers they'll even make you rent it if you're just gonna use it in the parking lot too. lol

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Cool, I ended up buying one for like $14 because they wouldnt rent me one.... You must have a better AZ than I had......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question: Would a FPR just go out all the sudden? There are no codes being thrown and as I recall, he was just driving the damn thing when it sputtered and died as if it were out of fuel. No prior symptoms and no issues since i did the pump last. It just kinda happened out of the blue...

AJ

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
What kind of fuel pump was it? I had to replace my stock fuel pump, ended up breaking it the 2nd time i pulled my tank out so I had bought a new fuel pump module assembly off of ebay so i could rig in my walbro 255. For some stupid reason I let my dad convince me into leaving this one be knowing damn well that some random ebay fuel pump was a piece of shit and that thing only last 3 months maybe. Same exact symptoms as what you described, only I was in the middle of the freeway when mine happened and i had to try not to kill myself switching lanes with my truck dead. If you by any chance just put in a stock replacement made by Airtex I'd consider getting fuel pressure checked first. I've read up on here in the past and haven't read any good reviews on them through this site...

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Another thing that can happen is that the accordion hose from
the pump to the inlet tube going out of the sender can get a
pin hole in it and not supply enough fuel and or volume.

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/kits.html#flexhose

Many change out this hose for a fuel inj hose. J30R10 is the proper
hose for FI. When doing a pump Walbro is all I'll use. Napa
carries J30R10 hose but it ain't cheap. I get all my stuff from
APE then I don't have to worry about it. >

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bronkitis: a fpr could be leaking (lowering pressure) but still allow an engine to run buy having the computer compensate then fail so yes it can fail like you described - main thing is what was the fuel pressure key on engine off and key on engine on. also was there any bleed down after the engine was off. get those numbers and you can definitely determine the whether pressure is enough.

joyride: as far as fuel pumps my 2 cents is this: AC Delco, Delphi or Walbro - any other Carter, Airtex tons of others be ready to change them again. I used a Delphi (from getgmparts.com) and haven't thought about fuel pumps again.

good luck guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts