S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I like MINE with NO shine
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ripped open my dash and found a GM security system. It has all sorts of wires commin out of it, but I have a delimma. I can either get a new remote, or a new set up. THis one is a stock GM, so I dont think it even has any sort of sensors besides when teh truck starts. Does anyone know anything about these? Thanks :bash:

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Dude if they want your truck nothing short of a Rotty in the front seat is gonna stop them...

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's a couple different "factory alarms" that I know of that GM uses. One is just a keyless entry/ horn alarm that has no shock sensor. I've even seen LED's used on those. The other is actually an alarm. It's made by DEI and a GM logo slapped on. It's a decent alarm, good basic thing. The one posostive thing about the GM stock securtiy system is it has a sensor that measures the resistance of the key...if there is a different resistance trying to start the car, it won't start. basically you need the key to start it, no hotwiring. You can't even install a remote start without doing a bunch of crap to bypass the thing.

·
I like MINE with NO shine
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iasca_s10 said:
There's a couple different "factory alarms" that I know of that GM uses. One is just a keyless entry/ horn alarm that has no shock sensor. I've even seen LED's used on those. The other is actually an alarm. It's made by DEI and a GM logo slapped on. It's a decent alarm, good basic thing. The one posostive thing about the GM stock securtiy system is it has a sensor that measures the resistance of the key...if there is a different resistance trying to start the car, it won't start. basically you need the key to start it, no hotwiring. You can't even install a remote start without doing a bunch of crap to bypass the thing.
Well, I worked on teh truck the day after I bought it for a good 9 hours. The battery died, and tha tis hwo I found out it had the alarm system. I put the key to start it in, and I got the **** kicked outta me when the alarm started blasting. After I finally got teh truck charged up, I tryed to start it, the alarm went off again, and the engine wouldnt even turn over. It has that part to it, and that is an LED in the dashboard.

As for the truck getting stolen, that is NOT why I am getting an alarm, I am getting the alarm to protect my stereo equiptment if that is what the thieves are lookign for. My last system was stolen from my backyard, with the alarm, I will be able to hear activity, and have enough time to get my nightstick and show them whos truck they are messing with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
does anyone knows if I can add any generic shock sensor (like this one) to the factory alarm system on my 97 LS S10 stepside? Damn alarm only sets off when you open the door. Costed me my whole stereo system. I've got a remote with a Silencer brand and haven't bothered to look under the dash yet ,so anyone knows what kind of alarm system dealer uses? Or is it just better to replace it with something else? Any sugggestions? thx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts