S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2000 S10 extended cab. There is a light on the dash that says security. What is it for? Is there anything I should watch out for or do when I work on the new dime?

THanks

·
Professional Insultant
5,928 Posts
mine has it too, i checked the manuel, obviously it's some kind of security device, but there's no alarm in the s10 I could see, I don't know, maybe it shuts the power off when the steering colum is broken or something, manuel didn't really describe it to well. It may even be for the radio, I know supposedly the stock radio can't be removed from one car and put in another and work without resetting the security device in it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If mine has a hard time starting and stalls when first try it the security light will be on the second time when it fires

·
Registered
990 Posts
TokoDragon said:
Mine Comes on everytime I start the car for a second or two.
the newer trucks have passlock, as long as the light is only on for 2 seconds at start, your good

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Mine has it also. I believe it has to do with your remote keyless entry system. It does disable the car if you push the lock button on your keyless entry system and it can't be started. Plus it turns on everytime I turn the key and shuts off a few seconds later. It is normal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 99 s-10 and i have no alarm at all and mine is coming on and off while im driving and it left me at blood drag for like a hour cause it would not start, the manual says that my ingition has been tampered with, its a pain if this happens!!

·
It's a Blue thing...
12,413 Posts
mybluedime said:
I have a 99 s-10 and i have no alarm at all and mine is coming on and off while im driving and it left me at blood drag for like a hour cause it would not start, the manual says that my ingition has been tampered with, its a pain if this happens!!
:werd:

You can turn the key to the on position and it should come on and turn off after 2 seconds, if it flashes after that then your pickup will start and die. Due to "resistance" in the passlock system.
Usually I let it set for 10 minutes and it'll start up no problem.

I believe it there so if someone was trying to hot wire your pickup it would do this to keep a thief from taking your vehicle.

Mine will do it every now and then because I had an alarm with remote start installed and the connections were crimpped which cause enough resistance in the passlock system to activate teh "SECURITY" mode sometimes.

It'll comes on and stays on sometimes when I'm driving aswell. It doens't seem to affect anything. So I don't know about that.

It can be a pain, I would like to go back and solder the connections which were crimped.

I'm not sure where this Passlock brain is located.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mr Blue said:

You can turn the key to the on position and it should come on and turn off after 2 seconds, if it flashes after that then your pickup will start and die. Due to "resistance" in the passlock system.

I believe it there so if someone was trying to hot wire your pickup it would do this to keep a thief from taking your vehicle.

Mine will do it every now and then because I had an alarm with remote start installed and the connections were crimpped which cause enough resistance in the passlock system to activate teh "SECURITY" mode sometimes.

It'll comes on and stays on sometimes when I'm driving aswell. It doens't seem to affect anything. So I don't know about that.

It can be a pain, I would like to go back and solder the connections which were crimped.

part of the BCM

·
Professional Insultant
5,928 Posts
yeah, sounds cool, I've never had any incounters with it, but it has nothing to do with remote entry and stuff because my truck doesn't even have power locks and I have the security light. So what would cause it to activate? breaking the steering coulum or something? I see a lot of the newer cars with little Anti-theft stickers, but never seen or heard an alarm. My Mom's Venture has the anti-theft sticker, and if you lock it, shaking it wont set it off, noise wont, even putting the wrong key in the ignition wont do anything.

·
Ol' Sparky
1,294 Posts
on mine (03 with keyless) if you lock the doors with the remote and make the horn beep (push lock two times) and after about 10 sec. if the doors are unlocked with out the remote it sets the horn off and flashes the lights for about a minute, until the remote is used again or the truck is started. When the doors are locked the security light stays on for the 10 sec. it takes for the alarm to arm, then goes out to tell you it is active.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Mr Blue said:

The harness where the Passlock system was interfaced on your vehicle is MOST LIKELY on the steering column. Most aftermarket remote start systems tap into this system on the steering column wiring harness. The PASSLOCK systems is a series of three very small wires that come directly off of the lock cylinder of the ignition switch. If memory serves, there is a black wire, yellow wire, and black with a yellow stripe.

The security light is, as stated, part of the PASSLOCK system on GM vehicles. It is based off of a resistance value from the ignition switch. Basically, if someone tries to steal your vehicle and breaks the ignition switch, it will not start. That's the theory. It doesn't always work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts