S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted to do a V8 Swap for some time now. I wanted to do a LS swap but the simplicity of the TBI to TBI swap is looking better as i am on a budget. The Truck is a 95 Extended Cab 5 Speed. It has 180K miles and was bought by my family from the dealer. The only thing that has ever been done to this engine other than tune ups and crap is a Intake Gasket. This build up of the engine will go a little slow as i will not be able to take off of work for a few months to actually do the swap so I’m not in a hurry...

I heat my house/Workshop with wood every year so i pull my wood trailer all the time. I must say i have been impressed by the beating the 4.3 has taken. It pulled that trailer off the line better than a 06 F150. F150 was able to stop it better with the damn fancy new 4 wheel disk brakes. Ok not that new or fancy but us S10 guys missed out on that one.... But i got rid of the F150 and the girl that came with it Maybe it was the other way around not too sure...

I also pull a Jet Ski or Boat to the lake every week in the summer. So i need something with a lot of bottom to Mid range Torque. I don't plan to rev this thing much past 5500RPM and I would be worried about the other components giving out.

I was able to get a free engine from work. It is a 350 out of a 91 C1500. It was one of our test fleet vehicles. Once it developed a rod knock they swapped in a new Good wrench crate engine and put this one in the corner. I was over talking to one of the mechanics and happened to see this thing. It was sitting for 7 or 8 years.

I plan on doing a 383 Stroker Kit as i already need a rotating assembly anyway... Im in the process of tear donw and clean up now.

I found a Drunk Monkey with a hammer playing hell on the #1 Rod bearing...

Im pretty sure this crank will make it to my wall of shame...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With this Long Weekend I was able to spend some real time out in the shop... Most of it looking for tools but thats a different story....

Rotating Assembly completely removed.

Valves removed and a picture of the Swirl Port.

Bead Blast Cabinets are awesome!

Both Heads Cleaned up

Yes Im a picture whore...

Has anyone had any luck porting these things?? I know they really choke off power past 5K but im not planning to bracket race this thing. Just want low end grunt power.

Next I have to figure out how to get the block into the blast cabinet.... that should be fun to do by myself...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plans for the Engine other than the Stroker Kit are:
about 9.5-10 to 1 Compression so i can still drive it on the street.
Probably an aftermarket Intake with the 454 TBI unit. Ill either make a adapter plate or buy one.
Ported Swirl Port heads for now unless i can find a set of Vortec heads cheap.
Good Sounding Cam with good power numbers to match. Any one had good luck with a cam that the would like to share?
I will probably do full length headers if i can find some that work well. Again has anyone had good luck with any?
2.5" True Duals maybe with a crossover not sure. What are some good sounding mufflers? I like the Flowmaster Super 40's on my camaro but may do something a little different.
at some point I want to do the Blazer Fuel tank over the rear axle and centered in the frame rails.
Ford 8.8 or 9 inch swap. Need to see what i can find on my next trip to the junk yard.
Ill probably Fab up some Caltracs like traction bars.
and I plan to start collecting NV3500's for when i break mine... I have a local junk yard that gives me Manual Trannys for 45-60 bucks...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts