S-10 Forum banner

Seat Removal (Doing right now)

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  jaydawg 
#1 ·
Hey!

Is there anyway to get the forth bolt without a special tool?It isnt actually a bolt it is a flat disk with the * type patten. I tried a regular screwdriver and a wrench but it keeps slipping and I don't wanna strip it. I have a 2000 sonoma with factory bucket seats. The bolt is the center rear which also holds the middle passanger lap belt and is the fourth bolt for the drivers seat.....they always have to throw in one damn tricky bolt or something!!! If I have to go to the upholstry shop then so be it UI can bs him about getting the seats covered and then say by the way can you take this off?

Thanks

#3 ·
Is this a torx bolt you are talking about? Thats all I could think of with the star pattern. My seatbelts were held on by a torx bolt, so that may be what you guys are talking about. Look into that.

Greg G.:)

#5 ·
If it's a seat belt bolt it will be a torx head. They do that so people won't monkey around with seat belt mountings and some of the bigger torx heads are not common in most peoples toolboxes. Torx heads are a b*tch because they strip easy. Make sure you have the exact size.

#7 ·
OK, that bolt will probably be a huge *****. Somebody has a tendency to put too much loc-tite on them at the factory. We had to heat up the collar around the bolt with an acetelyne (sp?) torch and use a pneumatic impact wrench to get it loose when I was swapping out my seats. It's just no fun at all. I advise that you go to your local hardware store and get a new bolt because the threads are gonna be gunked up when you go to put it back in. Make sure you put some good lubricant on it, too, to make sure it doesn't seize up again. Let me know how it goes.

Jeff

#9 ·
Should be either 40, 45, or 50 - I'm thinking 50 since we broke our 45 on a Jeep and I didn't need that particular one . . .

Jeff

#14 ·
I ran into same problem when I was running all my wiring for my stereo. I found the you can take a regular allen, find the closest size that will fit in the torx screw, and crank away. It helps if you have the allens for a socket wrench. Trust me it will work.

Good Luck

#18 ·
Well, then I guess I was a lucking focker, because it worked for me a couple of times.

:D :bah: :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.