S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I recently acquired an v6 86 extended cab s10 from a good friend (for a stupid good price) who was letting it languish. The tranny fluid was so dark we thought it was oil, but that's besides the point:

The drivers side seat belt does not lock! This is very disquieting... What if some one isn't paying attention and I'm forced into a situation where I need the seat belt to work? There is a wrecker down the road that quoted me 10 bucks for a replacement retractor. I tried to take off the interior plastic panels that hide the mechanism and I failed miserably, even thought I took all the screws I could find / see out it still felt like it was bolted on. I don't know what kind of bolts hold the seat belt mechanism to the frame or I would just go to the wrecker with my mechanic buddy right away.

I guess in a nutshell my questions are

a) How do those interior panels come off so I can get eyes on the mechanism? I might as well cut the plastic if that is the easiest who cares about looks I just want it functional
b) What kind of bolts hold the seat belt to the frame?

I have a chilton but it's practically not worth the paper it was printed on, and my local chevy dealership was like UUH DUUR it's no longer manufactured sorry bub, so I reach out thru the wonders of modern communication and we are here

Thanks for reading, have a great day

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Hello Folks,

I recently acquired an v6 86 extended cab s10 from a good friend (for a stupid good price) who was letting it languish. The tranny fluid was so dark we thought it was oil, but that's besides the point:

The drivers side seat belt does not lock! This is very disquieting... What if some one isn't paying attention and I'm forced into a situation where I need the seat belt to work? There is a wrecker down the road that quoted me 10 bucks for a replacement retractor. I tried to take off the interior plastic panels that hide the mechanism and I failed miserably, even thought I took all the screws I could find / see out it still felt like it was bolted on. I don't know what kind of bolts hold the seat belt mechanism to the frame or I would just go to the wrecker with my mechanic buddy right away.

I guess in a nutshell my questions are

a) How do those interior panels come off so I can get eyes on the mechanism? I might as well cut the plastic if that is the easiest who cares about looks I just want it functional
b) What kind of bolts hold the seat belt to the frame?

I have a chilton but it's practically not worth the paper it was printed on, and my local chevy dealership was like UUH DUUR it's no longer manufactured sorry bub, so I reach out thru the wonders of modern communication and we are here

Thanks for reading, have a great day
No panels need to come off to get the seat belts off. A torx screw at the top of the seat belt and one at the bottom, behind a little access flap, the bottom one is a real pain in the ass to get to.

Also On my Baja, The drivers side didn't like staying latched. All I had to do was replace the latch side and not the whole seat belt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Death: it felt like it wanted to come off but something in the middle was still on, and I couldn't see or feel anything

Renswic: There is a little one inch in diameter plug that comes out of the upper right of the panel, is this the access port you are referencing?

It's just super perturbing to not have the seatbelt ratchet, I loath highway driving as it is, but having a non functional seatbelt just makes it more sketch

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've had the same problem.

That piece that covers the retractor is riveted on.....I also believe there is a panel screw behind it, holding on the piece that goes around the window.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Death: it felt like it wanted to come off but something in the middle was still on, and I couldn't see or feel anything

Renswic: There is a little one inch in diameter plug that comes out of the upper right of the panel, is this the access port you are referencing?

It's just super perturbing to not have the seatbelt ratchet, I loath highway driving as it is, but having a non functional seatbelt just makes it more sketch
Upper bolt. takes a large torx bit, I think 47 or 50:

Bottom bold its behind the cover. Again it is a 47 or 50 torx bit. Do your self a BIG favor and tape the bit and extensions together. That bit is a bitch to get out if it pops off:

Edit, it could be a 45 torx. Its dark out and I don't feel like digging out my torx set to find out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deuce: I saw the rivet, It was below the access point as seen above, which is also around the area where it felt joined to another panel, I suspected it had something to do with the entire window panel

Ren: Photos look spot on, thanks for the effort, Also thanks for pointing me in general area of size for the torx!

How do I go about replacing the mechanism? I imagine going to the wrecker and getting the piece that winds the belt up, cause it doesn't lock when I yank on it after I've clipped in...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I seem to remember if you pull it all the way out, it will ratchet.

They usually will tighten up when you driving and hit a large bump.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the same problem and have still not been able to get the panel covering the ratchet off. my passenger side panel didn't have that last bolt, so it is off but the drivers side one is impossible to remove.

Keep us posted on your progress, I want to get mine fixed as well!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah Deuce, I will for sure

It's looking like if popping that rivet, and removing both torx doesn't get that panel off I might just cut it ¬_¬

I'm headed to the wrecker this weekend for Taillight cover, rearview mirror, and most importantly the seat belt mechanism

[edit]
Digger, thanks for nailing it down, I'm going to that particular one from my local auto parts store! Much appreciated
[/edit]

·
1991 S10 Ext Cab 4x4
89 Posts
I have just had the same problem with my ext cab belts too. You can get the bolt out on the floor by applying heat to the tip of the bolt sticking through the bottom of the floor. From underneath that it. I had to wirebrush the rust off the bolt. I applied some pb lubricant overnight and then heated the bolt from underneath. It really made the job much easier. It did not really take all that much heat either. At the junk yard I broke 3 or so torx bits side 47 or 50. I went to harbor freight and bought a small cheap torch. Had to buy butane from a drug store to fill it. I smuggled it in to the junk yard since they search the tool boxes for torches. "not allowed". Even a small torch provided enough heat to allow me to extract the torx bolt. The toughest one had to be worked back and forth. Clock wise and counter clockwise and reheated three times until it finally loosened. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It passed smog (barely) and I have yet to do the seat belt, but it's still top of the list!

will include pictures when I do it

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hello All...

First, Merry Christmas.

I have worn and frayed seat belt harnesses in my 92 S10 ext cab. I was wondering if belt setups from newer extended cab S10's will fit or can be adapted with minor work?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts