S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

O2 S10 ZR2 with NP 233C Transfer case

I'm currently working on replacing my transfer case input shaft seal and noticed that the connector on the encoder motor had fluid leaking out of it. Does this normally happen when the input shaft seal goes bad and fills the case with excessive fluid? I also noticed that the wires leading up to the truck had a bit of fluid leaking from connector where it connects to the encoder motor.

Here is the connector that I'm referring to:

Is there a seal between the transfer case and the encoder motor that needs to be replaced? Here's a photo of where the motor connects to the transfer case:

Thank you

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
406 Posts
My 1998 Blazer 4x4 didn't have a seal when I removed it and I didn't put one on when I installed it after replacing the input shaft seal.

I am pretty sure it also had a NP233 2WD, 4HI, 4LO transfer case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 1998 Blazer 4x4 didn't have a seal when I removed it and I didn't put one on when I installed it after replacing the input shaft seal.

I am pretty sure it also had a NP233 2WD, 4HI, 4LO transfer case.
Thank you for the information. Did yours have fluid at the connectors as well?

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
406 Posts
Thank you for the information. Did yours have fluid at the connectors as well?
If I am remembering correctly it did, I bought a Cardone encoder motor replacement.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
406 Posts
Also do yourself a favor, that vacuum switch right above where the encoder motor goes... replace it and do not use Dorman. Those go bad often and you can end up sucking transmission fluid up into the vacuum lines and cause you a whole bunch of problems.

Reactions: Pram0192

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
There is an o-ring around the outside of the motor where it connects to the TC to prevent any leaking. As @MrUnknown says it could be leaking down from the vacuum switch if it's full of fluid because the TC is over full and the switch is also leaky. Common problem. If it is leaking get the correct GM switch to replace it. I suppose if the TC was really full it could have filled the motor too and leak out around the wires. Don't see that as a problem. It'll stop when you replace the seal.

Reactions: Pram0192

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, thank you guys I appreciate the help! I will look for a replacement O-ring and replace it just in case. Thanks for the heads up on the Dorman vacuum switch, I will look for the GM part to see if I can get it locally or shipped out soon.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
406 Posts
Great, thank you guys I appreciate the help! I will look for a replacement O-ring and replace it just in case. Thanks for the heads up on the Dorman vacuum switch, I will look for the GM part to see if I can get it locally or shipped out soon.
AcDelco which is OEM is on RockAuto for $30, unfortunately I do not think any of the auto part stores carry the AcDelco version it will be listed as a Transfer case switch if they do but if they don't you can always go to the stealership and they can get it for you.

Best bet is probably just go for RockAuto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts