S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1992 S10 Tahoe 4.3l 5 speed 4x4
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought some sea foam for my 92 s10 4.3l tbi. I was reading some forums about it because I've never used it before and I saw some that were saying you shouldn't do it after changing plugs, wires, cap an rotor, etc. Is this true? If so should I avoid putting the seafoam through the booster line?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
Why do you think you need it? What's the problem you're hoping to fix with this snake oil?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just got the truck a couple weeks ago and I've heard that it'll just clean older engines with carbon deposits and such. I've also heard that it's a common part of a tune up

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
Have you pulled a valve cover to see what it looks like in there? If you do a search on the forum for SeaFoam...almost all say the same thing....save your money. You'd be better off with a high detergent oil. If you have poppets and think that will clean them...it won't

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I already bought the stuff. And I read the forums and people swear by it

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
They're probably swearing AT it. It appears you've made up your mind already.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
235 Posts
A properly maintained 4.3 doesn't need any treatment like seafoam honestly these engines don't even really seem to have a carbon build up issue to begin with.

Also Seeafoam was designed for 2-stroke engines.

I never use these kinds of treatments. I am usually against treatments and additives in general unless it is lucas (if it burns oil which mine does not so no need) or Prolong which I know for a fact does what it is advertised to do.

But it is your vehicle, your engine I suggest you also look at the negative reviews because some of those negative reviews might make you change your mind.

As stated above you will be better off just using a high detergent oil.

If you do go the Seafoam route you would need to change your spark plugs after not before.

·
Been there Done it
10,517 Posts
If your truck is running OK go ahead and pour the stuff in. Probably won't do any harm.
If your truck is not running OK go ahead and pour the stuff in. Probably won't fix it.
Which begs the question why do it at all?
Any modern motor oil is high detergent. Long time ago there was such a thing as non detergent motor oil for cars that had no oil filter to catch the stuff the detergents clean off the metal parts.

Reactions: Deer4ager

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
It doesn’t fix anything, and a well cared for vehicle doesn’t smoke much when u use seafoam, so I feel like it does do something-but does that $6 can of seafoam do $5 more than what a $1 bottle of water would when you pour it in the intake? I have no idea.

Every so often I dump a can it or Lucas oil injector cleaner in the gas tank so when I get my oil changed or go to the dealer and they say would you like a fuel system and throttle body cleaning for $300, I can say with Confidence “na bro, I got that covered“ 🤣

·
time to get cereal
4,596 Posts
I like having a flex truck, E85 works better than any of that stuff.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
235 Posts
I like having a flex truck, E85 works better than any of that stuff.
I owned a 1994 Silverado 4.3 with a 4L60E that thing had 250,000 original miles on it. It didn't have no sludge or excessive carbon build up. It ran beautifully.

Never had any treatment done to it under my ownership other then Prolong.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
235 Posts
It doesn’t fix anything, and a well cared for vehicle doesn’t smoke much when u use seafoam, so I feel like it does do something-but does that $6 can of seafoam do $5 more than what a $1 bottle of water would when you pour it in the intake? I have no idea.

Every so often I dump a can it or Lucas oil injector cleaner in the gas tank so when I get my oil changed or go to the dealer and they say would you like a fuel system and throttle body cleaning for $300, I can say with Confidence “na bro, I got that covered“ 🤣
The old school water method works better than Seafoam.

·
Randy
465 Posts
Well I have to say that as a mechanic I have to agree with all of the statements expressed here. I have always believed "Fix it right fix it once" & "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
However I have had 2 different vehicles with rich codes at different times. Because I am a Retired mechanic, I was too lazy and 2 busy with other things to take the time to physically fix them. I double dosed both vehicles with Seafoam and drove them normally. To my surprise the code went away. The first time I was shocked and didn't want to believe that it really did any good at all. I told my self that it just got a bad load of fuel. The second time it happened on a Trailblazer i picked up with a bad transmission and fixed it up. I had put about 2k miles on it since building the trans, cooling lines, shift cable & a new radiator. the light came on and I said "firetruck I'm tired and got other stuff i have to get done". I told my self "Hey it worked last time". So I tried it a second time and to my surprise... the light went out after a tank of gas and that code has not been back since.
So have I turned into a believer, NO. Depending on the situation chemical's have come along way.
How many times have you put a bottle of stop leak in the radiator? Did it fix it? Did you waste your money? Ever dropped a $20? How bout left a tool under the hood and lost it? Wasted that money...
Hell give it a shot, might just turn out to be money well spent.

Reactions: oldeerslayer

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've only used it as an engine flush. Added, drove a couple of days, then changed the oil.
Can't hurt, particularly in an engine that you don't know the oil change history of. As many as I've torn down with parafin and sludge filling lifter valley and valvetrain area in the heads, I have zero trust in anyone other than me to maintain anything, particularly when it comes to oil changes.

There are more Snake Oils out there now that actual oil brands. Very few do anything other than lighten your wallet.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,410 Posts
Seafoam will not clear a plugged inject, but i could clean off a FILM OF CRAP on a sensor. It will not clean a valve seat of carbon buildup, but might clear a needle jet in a small carb- like a snowblower.If you are concerned about carbon buildup, as stated about- you can STEAM CLEAN your valve seats by SLOWLY pouring water(small bottle) into the TBI or carb .It is an old school fix,and will get you a bit more time before you have to do real maintenance .

·
DILLIGAF
434 Posts
Let me tell you my sweet story about Sea Foam. I put it in my vacuum system and it broke up the carbon on the piston and the carbon lodged in the valve guide and made the valve stick open and them hit the piston. New engine time. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I just bought some sea foam for my 92 s10 4.3l tbi. I was reading some forums about it because I've never used it before and I saw some that were saying you shouldn't do it after changing plugs, wires, cap an rotor, etc. Is this true? If so should I avoid putting the seafoam through the booster line?
Yes AVOID putting Seafoam in the booster line! The You Tube uploaders who recommend this are IDIOTS. Use it as directions prescribe. In your gas tank with a full tank of gas etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts