S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on SuicideDoors.com that there are 2 door popper kits with the exact same components only one is $119.99 and the other is $249.99.

Autoloc = 249.99
Protocol = 119.99

What is the major difference in these kits and which is the best deal for the money?

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
DfntPntbll said:
I noticed on SuicideDoors.com that there are 2 door popper kits with the exact same components only one is $119.99 and the other is $249.99.

Autoloc = 249.99
Protocol = 119.99

What is the major difference in these kits and which is the best deal for the money?
I noticed the exact same thing last night in fact. Maybe it's just a difference between a trusted name brand versus a cheaply made generic brand. In fact, it looks like they just use the same exact photos for both kits.

See, all I need is solenoids, poppers, wiring, and relays. I don't need the brain and remotes since I already have an alarm hooked up and plan to use that. chevy01xtreme (I think that's his username) sells autoloc stuff, so I'm probably gonna buy it from him. It's a lot cheaper than sd except for that 'generic' kit.

·
let the cutting begin!!
264 Posts
hey when i bought my at blood drag. jason said that they were the exact same, both made by autoloc. only have protcol instead. all of the parts are autolocs keep it clean. so i hope that helped. i actually have the kit on my truck and i'm in valdosta, so if you want to see it let me know.

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the kits are both made my autoloc, but one is just called protocol??? that makes no sense. why would they do that? I'd love to see how yours works, let me kow when is best for you to meet. I am leaving for a show in St. Augustine this friday so unless you wanna meet up tomorrow, this week is a no go. Let me know.

·
ol' bodybuilder
647 Posts
I've read on this board that Autoloc's have longevity problems - associated with getting wet. I hear that SPAL's are much better. Seems like I paid around $105 on eBay for a 40lb SPAL kit "with" door poppers and another $10 for S&H.

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
developed said:
I've read on this board that Autoloc's have longevity problems - associated with getting wet. I hear that SPAL's are much better. Seems like I paid around $105 on eBay for a 40lb SPAL kit "with" door poppers and another $10 for S&H.
did it include all the relays, wiring, etc.? (basically did it include everything necessary)

see, my predicament is that all I need are the solenoids, poppers, wiring, and relays. I don't need a brain since I already have my alarm/keyless entry and want to hook it up to that. The Spal kits don't come with relays. They come with the brain and prewired harnesses. blah!

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
DfntPntbll said:
yeah, I found that one on ebay too. What I'm saying is that I don't need the brain or the remotes. I have a viper alarm system, and I plan on using some of the channels on that for the solenoids. To do that, all I need are the poppers, relays, wiring, and solenoids. The spal kit doesn't look like it includes any type of relays like the autoloc kit on SD.com . It looks like all that it controlled by the computer, which uses the remote. I mean if I can make the spal kit work with my alarm, that would be awesome...but from what I'm looking at, I don't see how I could make it work.

and btw, that kit you posted does not include the poppers. It's an additional $28 for the pair. Not too bad still, but you have to be pretty perceptive to realize that.

·
bodydropped member
342 Posts
slownomax98 said:
hey when i bought my at blood drag. jason said that they were the exact same, both made by autoloc. only have protcol instead. all of the parts are autolocs keep it clean. so i hope that helped. i actually have the kit on my truck and i'm in valdosta, so if you want to see it let me know.
hey dude i live in brunswick we should meet up one day.

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Burton said:
Post up the question the the SD forum section.... personally though I'm not going to run noids. I like the direction that AVS and spal went with the actuators.
Not only are they really expensive, but they also pull up to 110lbs. I think that's a bit overkill.

And instead of posting up the same exact question in another section, I was hoping this could be moved.

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
mat1583 said:
A few places i was looking at, the actuators are $100 a piece. That's expensive in my book.
Actuators are the same ones for power door locks you can do your own for like 15 - 20 bucks a piece. AVS has both sides with all mounting hardware for like 149......

Spal is around 110 for the actuators and remotes...

·
That 3D picture dude guy
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I keep hoping and admin/mod will move this to the SD forum. :p

·
ol' bodybuilder
647 Posts
mat1583 said:
yeah, I found that one on ebay too. What I'm saying is that I don't need the brain or the remotes. I have a viper alarm system, and I plan on using some of the channels on that for the solenoids. To do that, all I need are the poppers, relays, wiring, and solenoids. The spal kit doesn't look like it includes any type of relays like the autoloc kit on SD.com . It looks like all that it controlled by the computer, which uses the remote. I mean if I can make the spal kit work with my alarm, that would be awesome...but from what I'm looking at, I don't see how I could make it work.

and btw, that kit you posted does not include the poppers. It's an additional $28 for the pair. Not too bad still, but you have to be pretty perceptive to realize that.
I didn't stutter :p The price "included" door poppers" and it was only $104.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8042200560&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

They have them up all the time - With poppers and Without poppers - you just need to watch. You should be able to get them fror the opening bid if you how to do it. I had to wait and watch for about 2 weeks but did it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
the reason for the spals not coming with relys is because they are built in. i bought the autoloc kit from jason before x-mas when they were around 150. my friend got a spal kit from ebay and paid 105 for his. his is more powerful, has a boot on teh plunger to keep moisture out, and is way, way, way easier to install. i havnt even drivien with mine in yet, but i have already had problems with it. there is a e clip that keeps the plunger from comign all teh way out, it came off and my plunger came all teh way out. yesterday, i was taking them off and cleaning them before finally puting them all back in, and they were filled with water from my truck sitting outside (the usual washington weather haha). if i had another chance, i would have gone witha spal. if you guys with first gens need help installing everything or wiring a auto loc up, i think i got it down. pm me or check my build up thread in my sig. hope this helps

·
ol' bodybuilder
647 Posts
down2earths10 said:
the reason for the spals not coming with relys is because they are built in. i bought the autoloc kit from jason before x-mas when they were around 150. my friend got a spal kit from ebay and paid 105 for his. his is more powerful, has a boot on teh plunger to keep moisture out, and is way, way, way easier to install. i havnt even drivien with mine in yet, but i have already had problems with it. there is a e clip that keeps the plunger from comign all teh way out, it came off and my plunger came all teh way out. yesterday, i was taking them off and cleaning them before finally puting them all back in, and they were filled with water from my truck sitting outside (the usual washington weather haha). if i had another chance, i would have gone witha spal. if you guys with first gens need help installing everything or wiring a auto loc up, i think i got it down. pm me or check my build up thread in my sig. hope this helps
I hear ya buddy. That's why when I read about the Autolocs and water problems, I said no way for that to work in the great Pacific NW :) :cool:

I'll be installing mine next week then welding on the plates that following weekend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts