S-10 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, should I scuff down the etch primer before I spray the 2k high build primer or can I just paint over the etch primer as is. The etch primer has been on the truck for 4 days. Thanks
-Dan

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
scuff

·
fog it!
487 Posts
180 ,220 ,or a red scotch bright pad

·
i'd hit it!!
406 Posts
i wouldnt use JUST a red scuff pad! 180 or 220 and u should be fine

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I scuff the paint, should I wipe the truck down with wax and grease remover or will that eat the epoxy primer on the truck?

·
Some Day
5,605 Posts
wait now that I think about it you dont have to do anything to it... clean the etch primer and tac it off and then spray right over...... you dont sand etch primer, you sand primer surfacer (high build) so just spray your 2-3 coats of high build. let sit for its flash time. then put a guide coat on it and wetsand it with 400 then 600 and then spray your base

·
Static> Bags
2,596 Posts
96dragginSdime said:
wait now that I think about it you dont have to do anything to it... clean the etch primer and tac it off and then spray right over...... you dont sand etch primer, you sand primer surfacer (high build) so just spray your 2-3 coats of high build. let sit for its flash time. then put a guide coat on it and wetsand it with 400 then 600 and then spray your base

wrong,

If the etching primer has dryed for over a few hours scuff it with a red scuff pad, then clean it, and lay ur primer down, then guide coat it, and block it.

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
96dragginSdime said:
yea b/c on the can I got it doesnt say about sanding afterwards only before

·
fog it!
487 Posts
scuffing is the same a 320 grit but it don't level it just scratches

·
Imports are bad mmm'kay
1,044 Posts
Bad94 said:
wrong,

If the etching primer has dryed for over a few hours scuff it with a red scuff pad, then clean it, and lay ur primer down, then guide coat it, and block it.

:werd:

Don't bother with trying to sand an etch primer with any grit sandpaper. You're just going to wind up sanding all of your etch primer off and, since it's etch, Im assuming you're sealing off bare metal, so to get your protection back you would have to re-etch it. Scuff it with a red scuff pad aka scotchbrite and put your urethane build primer on over it. You would sand primer with 180 to block it out level and smooth it out, which you're not going to be doing to an etch, so all it needs its a good scuff for the primer to stick to, then you could block your primer with 180 and re prime and re block with 400 if you'd like. But as far as the etch is concerned only a scuff is needed.

·
fog it!
487 Posts
BigBassInside said:
:werd:

Don't bother with trying to sand an etch primer with any grit sandpaper. You're just going to wind up sanding all of your etch primer off and, since it's etch, Im assuming you're sealing off bare metal, so to get your protection back you would have to re-etch it. Scuff it with a red scuff pad aka scotchbrite and put your urethane build primer on over it. You would sand primer with 180 to block it out level and smooth it out, which you're not going to be doing to an etch, so all it needs its a good scuff for the primer to stick to, then you could block your primer with 180 and re prime and re block with 400 if you'd like. But as far as the etch is concerned only a scuff is needed.

well put

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright I scuffed down the etch primer with 220 a few days ago and layed down 3 coats of high build. What do you guys block sand the high build primer with-220, 320, 400? Any body heard of using a wooden paint stick to block sand with? Thanks for the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts