S-10 Forum banner

Screw It Im tired Of Guessing

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  GoofyGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone can answer this. Anyone I have a LT1 out of a 95 Impala SS How Do I put it in the truck. I would like the part#s and links if possible. So do I leave the mounts on the motor or are they repalced I keeping thinking about it and it doenst make sense. And if you could explain how they mount up that would be great. I just dont get it 2.8 mounts and adapter mounts and frame mounts its just to many mounts.

#2 ·
Basicly adapter mounts bolt to the engine. You can get them from a number of places, including Advance Adapters, Summit, Jegs, and even make your own.
The 2.8 mounts are actually the other half of the equasion, they bolt to the frame and when you lower the engine in with the mounts on it, they go on the 2.8 mounts and a bolt goes through the center to hold them together.
Stop overthinking it all, it aint that tough.

#3 ·
First off, have you purchased the jtr manual yet?!?!? If not, DO IT! It'll answer a lot of your questions.

The mounts off the Impy won't work. Take them off the LT1 and forget about them. Next, buy the 2.8 engine mounts from the jtr site. They bolt to the engine.2.8 Engine Mounts
Next, buy the 2.8 Frame Mounts (you can get these a lot of places) Frame Mounts

Those are all you'll need for mounting the engine. Sorry I didn't go into detail on how they bolt up but if you look at the pictures closely, you can visualize it.

#11 ·
I bought one the other night its shipped today. I was just trying to get a head start but Nooo some of you dont want to help ya just want to be hatin. Get it dont be hatin. Ahh screw it whats the point of a question forum if you only get critisized about everything you ask?

#12 · (Edited)
GoofyGuy said:
so your not gonna answer my question
If you're talking to me, sorry. I've been working on my swap all weekend. To answer your question, it's got maybe 1 page that mentions the LT1 swap. That doesn't matter though because it's still a V8. True, it mostly relates everything to a 1st gen truck but a lot of the info is still applicable. The AC evap box, motor mounts, radiators, firewall modifications, transmission tunnel modifications, etc.

You're NOT going to find a book that states step by step how to swap an LT1 into your specific model year truck. Have you even contemplated the wiring mess your going to have? Maybe this will give you an idea of what you have ahead of you...

You NEED the book to even partially understand what you're getting into. Next buy the shop manual (not Hayne's or Chilton's) for your truck and for the donor car (for wiring purposes), unless you plan to buy a custom harness (bling bling).

I may have to agree with AVTekk on this one... Hopefully you'll prove us both wrong!

#13 ·
Well so far I have the v8 conversion mounts I bought 2 of the 2.8 mounts even though no one answered my questions and the jtr manual all from JTR last night. I have a LT1 out of a impala SS with the tranny computer and harness and bought the bracket conversion kit off Ebay to convert all my accessories to the vette style so I wont have to notch frame. Right now Im Emailing about 3 or 4 diff companies about the wiring harness trying to get the best deal. Im taking a week off in march when I get home so I can put it all together. Ive done so many import swaps its not funny but thats front wheel drive and everything matches up to everything bascily. No need for certain trannys or what not you just buy the conversion mounts for the frame and they bolt up to the existing motor mounts. thats what confused me aboout this one becuase on imports you use the factory motor mounts no need for special ones and all the frame mounts are diff unlike I guess ours. I have both haynes and chiltons for the truck I also got the Impala/Caprice book for what reason I dont know becuse Im not even gonna atempt the conversion wiring. If Im gonna spend a lot of money on this conversion Im sure as hell not gonna cheap out on the harness Ill let someone else do it. Did I miss anything?

#14 ·
As far as the mounts you bought, you're half way there. The ones you bought bolt directly to the engine, now you just need the ones that bolt directly to the frame. I got mine from advanced auto parts for like 18 bucks.

I never noticed anyone selling those corvette accessory brackets. How much did they set you back? They'll make the swap easier for you too.

Let me know what you find out about the wiring harness and cost. I know I can do mine myself but I'd also like to not have to worry about it.

As far as the import swaps, that'll help you but this is a whole different ball game. But at least your mechanically inclined and you have to be to do this swap. I think you'll see all else that's involved when you get the jtr manual.

BTW, here's a link to my swap in progress (in the SS forum) http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79188

Good luck!

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.