S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
tuckin' fx4
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have little circle scratches that show when sunlight hits the truck at the right angles but there all over the truck anyone know what these are and how i can get rid of them?

·
Full Size Chevy
1,427 Posts
dirttysouth said:
Do you use the scrub brush at car washes? if so.............ding ding ding, theres your prob
He didnt ask what caused them, he asked how to get rid of them.

I would try swirl remover from 3m with a buffer. Goodluck!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
zachmartin83 said:
I have little circle scratches that show when sunlight hits the truck at the right angles but there all over the truck anyone know what these are and how i can get rid of them?

well he did ask what they are but, yeah you can buff them right out

·
Rustbucket Club
772 Posts
It's impossible to not get spider webs in your paint unless you NEVER touch the paint. Washing and drying are where you normally get them. However, you can take careful steps to slow down the appearance of all those annoying little scratches.

Is your truck a dark(er) color? If so, you'll have to do a LOT of polishing to fully remove them. A typical 2 step polish can remove about 75-85% of them, depending on the polish and pad used. Keep in mind this is usually done with a rotary, and rotary's aren't for everyone.
Check out www.detailcity.com and read up on the Porter Cable D/A polisher. If you can fork out $200 for the polisher, a couple pads and some polish, it's well worth the money :cool:

·
I have a big Jimmy
181 Posts
i work in the detailing department of a large, very well respected local body shop. those swirling scratches are typically from a buffer. basically there was still dirt on the paint and it was buffed. very common. you CAN get them out. trust me i do it every day at work. get an orbital polisher ($20 at walmart) and use a quality wax. be aggressive with the orbital. and make sure it is clean. use a microfiber bonnet on the orbital (if you can find one). they work wonders. it will take time but they will come out. also never use any kind of brush to wash your truck. use a wash mitt or sponge.

·
Rustbucket Club
772 Posts
Not trying to be a dick, but an orbital and wax isn't going to do shit for swirls or cobwebs. A cleaner wax and an orbital might remove the more visible scratches, but if you're removing swirls you need some sort of swirl remover polish, and if you're trying to remove cobwebs you might need to step up to a heavier polish or compound and cutting pad, depending on how severe they are. Also, swirls from a rotary are more commonly caused by the wrong polish/pad combination, or the bastrads that detailed your rig didn't care about removing the swirls after doing a medium polish or compound :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts