S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m currently swapping my 1990 2wd 4.3 with a .030 over 350. I have the mounts and headers but I want to run the original fan and serpentine belt not V-belt. Any tips or tricks you guys have?? Short water pump or regular water pump off the 4.3? Let me know, thanks!

·
time to get cereal
3,212 Posts
I've never seen anyone with a V8 and an engine driven fan... I'd look into electric fans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never seen anyone with a V8 and an engine driven fan... I'd look into electric fans.
Do you have a certain fan that you personally use or know of a good fan to use? I’d like to run the engine driven fan but I will look into electric also

·
6th Incarnation
811 Posts
Intrepid & Taurus fans are popular. Idk about a 1st gen, Taurus should work. Others use generic fans and fab their own mount/shroud, but read around through the projects. I don't know any setups using the mech fan either. It would sure make things simpler though!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Imo the electric fan is the only way to go. I have them on all of my rides.

·
time to get cereal
3,212 Posts
Personally, I use a Ford Tempo fan but those are getting pretty hard to find. Shroud fits perfectly, I use mine with a four banger though, not sure how the clearance with a V8 would be. There are lots of choices though, junkyards are full of different fans.

·
Hardhead
915 Posts
I know that some people used to use the flex fans that you could get from the aftermarket sources. You can't use a fan clutch with them though, not enough room, even with the radiator completely sunken into the support. They'd be noisy also. You'd also have to find one that had the appropriate blades, depending on the rotation of the water pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I’m currently swapping my 1990 2wd 4.3 with a .030 over 350. I have the mounts and headers but I want to run the original fan and serpentine belt not V-belt. Any tips or tricks you guys have?? Short water pump or regular water pump off the 4.3? Let me know, thanks!
Are you sure you want to do that? Might consider a later model 4.3. My 1996 4.3 Vortec S10 is rated at the same horsepower as my 1991 5.7 Silverado. Make for
an easier swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure you want to do that? Might consider a later model 4.3. My 1996 4.3 Vortec S10 is rated at the same horsepower as my 1991 5.7 Silverado. Make for
an easier swap.
Not sure what you did for that HP but yeah I’m sure of it. 4.3 exhaust tone sucks above 2k, weak as anything When they get relatively high miles, but they Do last a very long time. My 5.7 will have almost 3x the stock 4.3 HP in my truck without hurting the bank too bad.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,320 Posts
I think JTR has something about that in their book. A fan clutch from a Ford..can't remember which one, is about an inch thinner than the Chevy.

·
FLORIDA BUTCH
20 Posts
I use Derale Fans. They are 2000 cfm each. It is the only thing that cools my V8 in the hot Florida summer. They are skinny and come in their own aluminum shroud. All I had to do is weld the shroud to the radiator. I only have about 1" clearance, to the water pump and pulley. Compared to these fans, a mechanical fan would be a hair dryer. You can actually hear them blowing while driving.

·
SFA3.4
1983 standard cab shortbed 2wd factory roller 350 700r4
9 Posts
I think JTR has something about that in their book. A fan clutch from a Ford..can't remember which one, is about an inch thinner than the Chevy.
A mechanical fan is possible if you don't want to hear electric
IMG_20200529_185553953_HDR.jpg
fans running. IMG_20200529_185631669_HDR.jpg

·
SFA3.4
9 Posts
I didn't say it was silent but it's a heck of a lot quieter than electric when just idling around town. I use a stock GM reverse rotation fan clutch which does make noise at high RPM. Either system is fine depending on how your truck is set up and what climate you live in.

·
Hardhead
915 Posts
How's that setup cool without a shroud and the aftermarket radiator? I imagine if you did use a shroud it probably wouldn't do much good with the fan as close to the radiator as it is.

·
SFA3.4
9 Posts
How's that setup cool without a shroud and the aftermarket radiator? I imagine if you did use a shroud it probably wouldn't do much good with the fan as close to the radiator as it is.
I've yet to get it over 200 degrees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts