S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pocket Change Pounders
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, My 84 s10 with a SB 350 is making a knock or tap when it gets warm. u hear it when you give it gas. It is noticable at idle but not as bad. I was think maybe a spun bearing?? Thanks for the help. tim

·
low country dropshop
1,653 Posts
could be your rockers chattering too. where is it coming from? the top or bottom of the engine?

·
Registered
471 Posts
hard to say without actually hearing it myself but there are a few different things that could cause a "knock" sound can you pinpoint where its comming from? Also check your torque converter bolts ive seen them loosen up and cause a knock similar to a rod knock also could be a broken flywheel they will make that sound. Ive seen timming chains get stertched so far they slap the inside of the cover and make a tap or knock sound. try to narrow down where its comming from that will help

·
Pocket Change Pounders
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like it is comming from the top left side of the motor. Whats weird about it is that it only makes the noise when the engine is warm and at high idle. its a very suttle sound almost like taking the tips of your fingers and tapping them on a wooden desk.. Its not an obnoxious sound but it has me worried. I can count out the flywheel because the noise isnt that loud (my buddy broke the flywheel on his transam) But i will check everything.

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
Ok this sounds weird but type what it sounds like ie:

tap tap tap tap

or

TapTapTapTapTap

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sounds like a rocker, take a screw driver, hold the handle on your ear and run the blade across the valve cover, if its a rocker you will hear it better and narrow down which it is.(use a long one or a pry bar if your short LOL)

·
Registered
471 Posts
mabey your engines tryin to communicate with morse code lol just kiddin around bein high and not too loud like you said id lean more twords it beind a rocker tap your valves may just be outa adjustment. run it past a local mechanic that you trust and see what he thinks most shops around here will still give you an oppinion without chargin you and if they do charge you for just listenin to your tap tap you dont want to use them anyway

·
Pocket Change Pounders
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i have good oil pressure and the noise is like tap tap tap. Im taking it to my buddies shop and he said he will listen to it. Thanks for all the help, ill let you know what it turns out to be. Hopefully nothing to serious. Thanks again i really appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts