S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am under the impression that several Sy's were shipped back from Saudi Arabia because they weren't having any luck selling them. I also read that due to the storage conditions they had to be refurbished by PAS prior to resale. I was wondering if the Saudi Sy's are more valuble because of their history and also wondering how to identify one ? Did they retain metric guage clusters ? Do the VIN numbers have a certain series ?

15,113 Posts
gen1crewcab said:
I am under the impression that several Sy's were shipped back from Saudi Arabia because they weren't having any luck selling them.
Yes, I believe 31 of the 113 that were known as Saudi Sys returned to the US.

I also read that due to the storage conditions they had to be refurbished by PAS prior to resale.
They were referbished, but I dont believe it was by PAS being that PAS went out of business just after the Typhoons were built and the Saudi's didnt come home till '94-'95.

I was wondering if the Saudi Sy's are more valuble because of their history and also wondering how to identify one ? Did they retain metric guage clusters?
Everything is move valuble if there is a buyer looking. Of course all the proper documentation and low mileage would make that happen. Im not sure if they kept the metic dash, but if they did, it would be one of 4 ways I know of to physically identify one, the other 3 being to crack open the ECM and look for the NM8 Chip, crawl under it and see if there is a resonator in place of the catalytic coverter or open the hood and see if the wires have been cut off the O2 sensor. Those are all characteristics of a Saudi Sy, but none of them are dead giveaways.

Do the VIN numbers have a certain series ?
None of the special Syclone converstion were done in a series, however, Syclone # 2581, 2590, 2604, 2726, 2734, 2736, 2738, 2739, 2744, 2745, 2746, 2753, 2757, 2759, 2765, 2771, 2781, 2789, 2791, 2792, 2796, 2802, 2804, 2805, 2806, 2807, 2809, 2812, 2814, 2817, 2828 I believe are known to be Saudi Sys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If PAS didn't refurbish them I wonder who did ? And weather or not that buisness is still around, maybe they kept records of the trucks ? At any rate that leaves 82 (I would think most of them survived since there isn't much to hit in a desert)of them rotting in a pile of camel crap somewhere. Last I checked we had buttloads of American servicemen in Saudi Arabia one of em's gotta be a clone fan....I gotta get me me a big fockin boat

15,113 Posts
gen1crewcab said:
If PAS didn't refurbish them I wonder who did?
Perhaps GM! They did build most of and sell the trucks :rolleyes:

And weather or not that buisness is still around, maybe they kept records of the trucks?
They did, they were all purchased by a SyTy enthusiast in Michigan (name to be named) where he and a few others have been going through, sorting and cataloging everything for the past 5 years or so, at least.

At any rate that leaves 82 (I would think most of them survived since there isn't much to hit in a desert)of them rotting in a pile of camel crap somewhere. Last I checked we had buttloads of American servicemen in Saudi Arabia one of em's gotta be a clone fan....I gotta get me me a big fockin boat
it actually leaves alot more than that. Just cause they know the # doesnt mean they know where they all are or if they exist anymore. We may never know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for all of the questions is that I cut a deal with my wife to buy a Sy. She told me to go and buy a new truck because she was sick of me wrenchin on my old rust bucket gen one. I told her that what I really wanted to buy was a 'clone and I thought it would be more of a sound investment than pissing money away on a new truck. And so begins my search. Marlboro's are out of the price range so maybe a Saudi would fit the bill, besides I just think the history behind them is interesting. Anyway is the chip in the Saudis different because of the fuel they would use or because the O2 was bypassed ?

15,113 Posts
gen1crewcab said:
The reason for all of the questions is that I cut a deal with my wife to buy a Sy. She told me to go and buy a new truck because she was sick of me wrenchin on my old rust bucket gen one. I told her that what I really wanted to buy was a 'clone and I thought it would be more of a sound investment than pissing money away on a new truck. And so begins my search. Marlboro's are out of the price range so maybe a Saudi would fit the bill, besides I just think the history behind them is interesting. Anyway is the chip in the Saudis different because of the fuel they would use or because the O2 was bypassed ?
Yes, the Saudi chip enabled the truck to run on leaded fuel. As far as buying a Saudi vs a regular Sy, unless you plan on keeping it totally stock and not driving it much, why bother? IF you find one that is. :dunno:

Cyber Brat said:
Prepare to do alot more wrenching.
yeah, no kidding there.

oh yeah, theres a Marlboro on eBay right now

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would keep it stock and keep the miles off of it, I guess thats the whole point of owning a collector car. I am not afraid of spinning wrenches if thats what ownership entails, hell thats part of the fun. As far as finding one goes I guess as long as you don't get frustrated and give up too easily I don't think it would be hard to dig one up..... It took a few years but I found this...http://www.s10forum.com/modules.php...hp&PHPSESSID=fc7340645b969117247e914e82792242

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheap today...... I say the reserve is about 40k if not more, but it is a beatiful truck. All that crap laying around in the pictures is kind of scary though, something could tip over and .......I shudder to think.

·
the TOOLMAN
87 Posts
hey Morgan....is that your truck in that post gen1crewcab put up??..white Ty...

T

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the Marlboro has a Targa top which is much like a convertible top installation except the the structural integrity of the cab is maintained to a higher degree. I don't know how well they seal up but I do know it is next to impossible to get a convertible to stay dry.

·
the TOOLMAN
87 Posts
10 posts up (^) gen1crewcab posted a sight with a pic of his truck(very nice!!) and in the other pics on the link there is a wht ty (2-3 pics) with a sunroof & fender vent that looks like yours(NJ plates)
just curious if it IS yours...its a sharp rig!!

today i got notification of responses to post over at syty but i still cant get on there...how bout you??
T

15,113 Posts
TIM said:
10 posts up (^) gen1crewcab posted a sight with a pic of his truck(very nice!!) and in the other pics on the link there is a wht ty (2-3 pics) with a sunroof & fender vent that looks like yours(NJ plates)
just curious if it IS yours...its a sharp rig!!

today i got notification of responses to post over at syty but i still cant get on there...how bout you??
T
oh yeah, i didnt even see the link, thats my truck. those pics were from Nats last June.

I didnt even think about his screen name till now, :lol: now I know who he is.

as far as syty.net, have you tried http://sytynet2.phpwebhosting.com/phpBB2/index.php that link??

·
the TOOLMAN
87 Posts
yeah that one works...thanks Morgan!!

yeah,thats a sweet rig...i hope to get to a few meets this year myself...not to many syty guy in my area..dgoodhue is the closest.gonna link up with him soon
thanks agian
T

1 - 20 of 20 Posts