S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1999 s10 Xtra cab 4x4 4.3l I am planning on dropping in a new motor and doing a sas. I was curious on if anyone has done it with newer dodge 2500 axles they are disk brake on the rear so they are pretty new. I want to keep them full width and possibly go with coil springs in the front but not opposed to doing leafs if its too much work to do coils. Any ideas or input on who has a kit for doing coil springs with those axles on an s10? If I did leafs will these axles work with welding some perches?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just bought a 1999 s10 Xtra cab 4x4 4.3l I am planning on dropping in a new motor
If youre planning on a new engine, and full width axles, a V8 swap should be in your future. The extra torque is a must when spinnin big tires
and doing a sas. I was curious on if anyone has done it with newer dodge 2500 axles
what model are the axles? But to answer youre question, every axle combo ever imagined has been put under an s10. The only thing you need to worry about is the transfer case output to axle
they are disk brake on the rear so they are pretty new.
I have some 1940s axles with disc brakes, nearly 80 years old but they surely aint new..
I want to keep them full width and possibly go with coil springs in the front
coil springs in front means custom link bars to mount. Can you build this type of suspension? Or have the funds to do it?
Any ideas or input on who has a kit for doing coil springs with those axles on an s10? If I did leafs will these axles work with welding some perches?
For me, the question to you is, what is your goal with this truck? Without any goal, you cant plan anything and will end up throwing a ton of money at something for not much reward. With a grinder, torch, welder and some skills you can fabricate anything you put your mind too, but in the end, you still need a goal. Some of the best crawlers I have ever seen were leaf in front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have built a few yotas with full width 1ton chevy axles and built some jeeps. I know my way around fabrication. I don't need to put in a v8 the 4.3 will handle it just fine after I build it. It needs to be able to pass smog every 2 years so can't be putting in anything other than what it came with. I found some aam dodge 2500 axles I am guessing they are 2003 or newer. I kind of wanted to build this thing with coils but I might just buy a set of axles off a 1999 f250 and put leafs in. I am not sure yet. I know the leafs will be easy but at the same time I was thinking of getting crazy with it. I would like to see if someone used the aam axles and get some ideas on their fab of the suspension and some pics

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have built a few yotas with full width 1ton chevy axles and built some jeeps. I know my way around fabrication. I don't need to put in a v8 the 4.3 will handle it just fine after I build it. It needs to be able to pass smog every 2 years so can't be putting in anything other than what it came with. I found some aam dodge 2500 axles I am guessing they are 2003 or newer. I kind of wanted to build this thing with coils but I might just buy a set of axles off a 1999 f250 and put leafs in. I am not sure yet. I know the leafs will be easy but at the same time I was thinking of getting crazy with it. I would like to see if someone used the aam axles and get some ideas on their fab of the suspension and some pics
If you buy axles from a newer F-250 (2005+, I think), they'll already be set up for coils. If you want to do it the easy way, you can even use the radius arms. If you can build a 3-link or 4-link, though, you'd be better off. I agree the stock engine is fine for off-road use, as long as you have appropriate gearing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your doing a engine swap then the sky is the limit to the axles you can source. Passenger side drops seem to be much more plentiful these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts