S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past 2 weeks my truck has been dying on me at random, i have replaced fuel pump/filter, tps, plugs. cleaned air filter, idle control valve, fixed an exposed wire on my crankshaft sensor. now (twice so far) when it has died it sounds like it is releiving pressure, directly below me, the only thing below me is the fuel filter that i know of. WTF???

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
does it only die on you when it's hot?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
for the past 2 weeks my truck has been dying on me at random, i have replaced fuel pump/filter, tps, plugs. cleaned air filter, idle control valve, fixed an exposed wire on my crankshaft sensor. now (twice so far) when it has died it sounds like it is releiving pressure, directly below me, the only thing below me is the fuel filter that i know of. WTF???
No codes?
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2005/us80530.htm

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
maybe try having the ignition control module tested at least 5 times so you can see if it's good or not when it's hot..?

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
they have a machine, you'd have to take it off and run it up there

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
When an engine suddenly quits running, but then starts again and runs normally. The cause may be the loss of an important sensor signal such as the crankshaft position sensor signal (distributorless ignition systems) or the ignition trigger signal (engines with distributors). GM HEI ignition modules are prone to failing when they get too hot - especially if someone replaced the module and forgot to apply the heat sink grease underneath to prevent the module from overheating.
Run the engine with a blow dryer aimed at the ignition module.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When an engine suddenly quits running, but then starts again and runs normally. The cause may be the loss of an important sensor signal such as the crankshaft position sensor signal (distributorless ignition systems) or the ignition trigger signal (engines with distributors). GM HEI ignition modules are prone to failing when they get too hot - especially if someone replaced the module and forgot to apply the heat sink grease underneath to prevent the module from overheating.

so your saying its the crankshaft sensor?, where would i find the ingition module?

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
the ignition module is the heatsink finned type thing on the bracket with the coil.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
correction, it seems to die whenever it wants to. it died 5 times, while going down the block and back

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is that the thing the spark plug wire is connected to? if not where would i find it?

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
post 10. look up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
can I get a list of sensors that control this problem, the hair dryer trick did not work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts