S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '89 2wd S10 with the 4.3 tpi that won't start and when it does, after about 10 cranks, it runs for about 7-10 minutes then stumbles to a stop. Here's what i have done so far:
replaced plugs and wires
replaced cap and rotor
replaced MAP sensor (threw a code to replace, but not the problem)
Adjusted timing
replaced fuel filter
no vacuum leaks

A GM mechanic (friend) said the symptoms sound like the pick-up coil in the distributor or fuel pressure (He's out of my area so he is doing what he can over the phone)

I have not: checked fuel pressure, checked coolant temp sensor, ignition coil, or pick-up coil.

I have had so many different diagnosis my head is spinning. I feel like replacing everything down to the ECM (which I have checked)

I need some solid advice on this one. Any is very much appreciated!

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Check the spark at one of the plugs while someone cranks it. It should be bright blue, not yellow / orange. While the plug is out, make sure it smells like gas, if it doesn't it couls be a fuel related problem. Welcome to the forum

·
Sometimes I'm mean...alot
1,348 Posts
Always, fuel filter then, fuel pressure before you spend money. If it is'nt those, have your ignition module checked repeatedly (5-10 times)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I will check the spark (color) and the ignition module. will let you know how it goes...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts