S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loaned my 95 (bought it new) to a friend . She drove it over heated (small split in heater hose) until it quit running . My question is do yall think the short block needs a rebuild or just a new/remaned head ? It's a 2.2 ltr . Opinions please .......

·
Registered Hoosier
4,451 Posts
I have torn down more than one 2.2, and one 2.4 quad 4 that were driven until they quit running. All were DOA.

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
I let my head gasket go a little to long and ran it until I couldn't anymore. That was 60-70k back... still runs like a champ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Loaned my 95 (bought it new) to a friend . She drove it over heated (small split in heater hose) until it quit running . My question is do yall think the short block needs a rebuild or just a new/remaned head ? It's a 2.2 ltr . Opinions please .......
Happened to my full size Chevy it was cooked

·
the new guy
722 Posts
if she locked it up from overheating, then the bearings probably have score marks and transfer marks on them. the cylinder walls are probably scored and have metal transfer, also.

the only way it will locked up is something got so hot that it got stuck in place. that's a sure sign its no good anymore.

but, if it didn't lock up, you need to open it up and see how it looks. it might just be a cracked head and you buy 180 dollar reman and drop it on and keep riding. I had the water pump go out on the highway and I didn't notice till it was too late. 180 bucks from a place on ebay that had good ratings on the cavalier forums and my truck is back in action. my head had cracked so just replacing the head gasket and a shave was a no-go.

you have to dig into it to find out though

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aside from opening the engine up , if it turns by starter , you can do a compression test & a cylinder leak down test , and I would definitely test the cooling system with a good head gasket , crack in head tester (Auto part store rental) if you perform these 3 , you'll have a very comprehensive idea of the engine's quality

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the late response . Just wanted to say thank you . Not going to waste time on the old engine . Searching for a "new" engine . No luck so far .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts