S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of swapping the 2.8 block and heads out of a mid80s camaro into an s15 pickup that had the 2.8. I have run into a few problems, but feel I have them overcome. Any thoughts on my swap would be appreciated.:)

What I have run into is this: As I was disassembling the truck motor, I fould that the water pump was completely different and pumped in the opposite direction. As a result, I have also found the timing cover and oil pan dirrerent also. After some careful thinking, I figured out I could put the oil pan and timing cover on the camaro motor, and its a perfect fit. The only thing is that it will cause the water to run through the block in reverse. Will this be a problem?

Also, the camaro motor was injected, as the truck is carbed. I figure on getting the Holley Red fuel pum, whick puts out up to 7psi, but averages 4psi. Is this too much for the carberator? It says it does not need a regulator, so I hope it will work alone. Is it adjustable?

Everything else is the same and swaps over with no problem. I was even buying the gaskets for only the truck motor, and they were all the same except the water pump of course.

Thanks.:rotf:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just take everyting off your 2.8L and swap it to the new block.

What year is your new engine and what year is your old engine?

Use your s-10 waterpump with the S-10 timing cover. The water still flows in the same direction. Only the pumps rotation is different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The truck is 83, the camaro was around 83-85. I thought I was totally lost when I saw the water pumps were different, but like you said, found that the oil pan and timing cover fit the camaro block perfectly.

Just curious - is there any differences between the two motors i.e. crank, cam, bearings & such? Looks like it will match the tranny perfectly, as they are both autos.

Thanx agin.:haha:

·
02 shortbed owner
143 Posts
the guts are the same, fuel injection is the way to go if you have everything for it

·
I still watch cartoons!
996 Posts
what year camaro is the motor from? is it another 2.8 or is it a 3.4 or 3.1? If its bigger then original then you'll want to have the carb rejetted if your reusing your stock carb.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exact same 2.8 block. Actually have three of them. One in my 86 firebird, the rebuilt one out of the donor camaro, and the truck one.

The reason I was interested in this is because of HP and torque. Wonder if that will change.

How many psi does the rochester verajet 2 require? Dont want to go to the injection setup I had off the camaro, that would require me to add the computer and other wiring and stuff. Just want to keep it simple.

This is going to be my daily driver while I finish and sell the 86 bird so I can start on rebuilding my 79 bird. That ones gona be my toy.

This is a really kool site, and I enjoy reading all about ur trucks. Mines 83 4wd auto. Got it for $400 with a rod bearing going out. Had the other block and determined to get it in there. Have all the receipts for al new driveline parts except the front axle. Once I get the motor in, should be dependable for a while. Porbly do some airbrushin on it.

Sry for long post. Thanks agin.
:haha:

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,551 Posts
Hey, get the Carter pump. It's a lot cheaper and it will work with out a regulator. Everybody tells me to use less than 7 psi, but I have a Holley 4bbl which is what I would suggest to you since the Rochester is such a dog. IT will really liven up your truck. PS order a good inline filter for the carb and the pump...J

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am basically working with what I have, which is the block and heads from camaro, and everything else from the truck. Cant just afford to run out and buy another carb at the moment, as I have been investing in all the gaskets, oil, parts cleaner, etc. This has been quite a project that I have been doing on weekends, when I get them.

Getting everything buttoned up a little at a time. Next paycheck is the fuel pump and an electronic gizmo on the intake that I havent figured out what exactly it is yet. Just havent looked in my Chilton.

Before I took the motor out of the truck, it was running fine, just had a bad knock. I had a donor rebuilt motor out of a camaro that is much fresher than the trucks.

Hope to finish this in a couple weeks or so, seeing as how I have only a day a week to work on it. Taking my time, not my main driver yet. Once I get it on the road, gonna sell my 86 bird for money to fix up my 79 bird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts