S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently been having gas gauge problems, truck is still under warranty. It only happens between empty and 1/2 tank. After the car has sit a while (should be on empty), the gauge will show 1/2 full when I know its not right, if I turn the car off/on, the gauge shows the correct amount. Basically it goes between emtpy (low fuel) and 3/8, 1/2 tank, I watch the gauge, it will move around some, but never go over 1/2 tank. Seems to be accurate down to 1/2 tank

Any ideas

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yea, could be a problem with the sending unit, or even the float inside the tank, it may have broken......

Definitely take it in for warranty work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got an appointment for monday, still under warranty. I really like the truck

One other thing youall may have heard of, its sounds like valves clicking when your low octane gas but thats not it

When Im traveling up an incline (not a big 10deg or so), I give it a little gas (not enough for it to downshift), I get a rattling that sounds like its coming from the rear axle or drivetrain. I know its not the valves knocking, Ive let my wife drive it and sit in the back, its definetly something in the back. I took it to the dealer, they could not find anything

Ever heard of that, got an 02 crew cab ZR5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer appointment

Took the car into today. Dealer going to replace sending unit, says its happened before, just lucky its during warranty

Dealer drove the car and cant emulate my rear rattle, he said he would ride with me when I bring it back

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer replaced sending unit, Im going to run on < 1/2 tank to make sure its working. I really like this truck

While picking up my truck, seen the first colorado, looked pretty good, but $27k for a Z71 w/o leather, seems pretty high

Colorado looks like it fits between the S10 and the full size chevy trucks

·
24HR Reflector Collector
316 Posts
i had the same problem with my 2000 S-10 stnd cab. i just replace the fuel sensor which is located on top of the float and its been workin fine since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts